I want to cut or have a drink to numb the excruciating enotional pain!How did you overcome this?

I have been in and out of therapy and on and off meds. BUT THE OVERWHELMING BAD FEELINGS ALWAYS COME BACK! One of my therapists said I drink and cut to disassociate from the trauma of my abusive childhood.

We lost our health insurance and don't qualify for assistance cause we own our home.

I need ideas that worked for others. I can't go on like this. I tried writing my feelings,but that didn't seem to work. I want the pain to go away!
Please pray for me! Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:19 PM on Jul. 1, 2013 in Health

• Try going to the county health department where you live. I got low-cost counseling through there for a short while even after I had bought a home.

I know what you're going through, believe me. But the problem with drinking and cutting--yes, I've done both to no avail--is that after you finish, the pain is still there. The dissociative techniques solve nothing and often add to your troubles in the long run. You'll fight the demons from your past for your whole life. You can thank whoever abused you for that. But the best way I've found to fight them is by living well. Enjoy your own children and all that life has to offer you. Easier said than done, but really, what choice is there?
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:25 PM on Jul. 1, 2013

• You can do it, just take it one day, one minute at a times. here are some great links. I was a self harmer from age 8-22 and DBT is what finally helped me to quit. I had tried every medication, therapy, in-patient, out-patient therapy available. 

http://www.dbtselfhelp.com/html/panic_list.html

http://www.siriusproject.org/dbtskills.html

http://www.bipolarsjuk.se/pdf/Handbook%20in%20DBT%20Group.pdf

tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 6:26 PM on Jul. 1, 2013

• Call your local United Way (211) and your county's social services number to get referrals to places who counsel for free. Churches in your area may also have groups available or a pastor to talk to. Call the manufacturer who makes your medicine to see if you can get free samples or a month's supply at a reduced cost.  Remembering what you need to do from past therapy sessions can help.  Getting out & taking a walk can help clear your head as well. GL

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:30 PM on Jul. 1, 2013

• Run, run till it hurts. If burns off the cortisol and it is good for you. Just watch out for shin splints and such.
    Anonymous

• Drinking or cutting may numb the pain for now but will cause more problems down the road. So you are basically trading one problem/pain for another. You need to address the problems that are causing the emotional pain. Does your work or you SO's work have EAP (employee assistance program)? Does your state have crisis prevention hotline? Is there a church in your area that has someone you can talk to?

I've been a cutter. My daughter is a recovering cutter. I've dealt with this. For me, I stopped cutting since I didn't want to have to explain the scars to my future husband. My daughter has gone to many therapists and the consensus is that she has to have a plan with a list of better choices to cutting.

Sending happy thoughts and prayers your way.
    tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 6:37 PM on Jul. 1, 2013

• Can you replace your negative thoughts with positive ones? Instead of thinking about a bad thing that happened, think of a positive one. Even if it's something like the sun is shining, the birds are chirping, the flowers are blooming. Something funny the kids have done or said. Anything to make you focus on the positive.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:38 PM on Jul. 1, 2013

• I will def pray for you anon.

Blessings!
    ptomom678

Answer by ptomom678 at 6:40 PM on Jul. 1, 2013

• You need to do something physical. You need a distraction, anything that doesn't harm your body. Distraction and soothing are going to be your best resources right now.

How are you doing?
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 6:42 PM on Jul. 1, 2013

• I will pray for you.
    You had a bad childhood. Have you been able to confront your abuser? This is painful and in most cases should not be done alone.
    It sounds as though you have faced what happened to you but have not been able to move beyond that. You might thy one of the clinics. They are generally low cost but they do have waiting lists.
    I would encourage you to try to focus on how you have overcome the trauma. You have a family who love you. You refuse to harm your child. You keep putting one step in front of the other.
    Is there a support group you can join. Often if you can team up with someone who is fighting the same battle you can be strong and they can lean on you when they are feeling week or overwhelmed and visa versa
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 6:46 PM on Jul. 1, 2013

• I can relate. I was abused as a kid and I cut. But I was put into foster care at age 14 and stayed till I was 18. I went to therapy once a week for all four years I was there. I've never cut since...but there have been many times when I wanted to. For me, what got me through those time, was my husband and son.
    Lobelia

Answer by Lobelia at 6:56 PM on Jul. 1, 2013