It is cheaper to eat junk/convenience foods. True or False.

I am going to go with False. Though I hear it all the time online that it is too expensive to eat healthy. Not that we eat health 100% of the time but I feel we eat a fairly balanced diet and I try to a bit health conscious of my choices as far as offering a wide selection of fruits and veggies and a variety of different foods.

I can not imagine that being cheaper. Sure hot dogs are cheap but unless you are eating those every night of the week I can certainly feed my family cheap and healthy at a very modest budget. Eggs and dried beans are good lean proteins, fresh and frozen veggies are cheaper and more filling than french fries and banana's are less than $.50 a pound. Not to mention peanut butter and whole wheat bread. Water is as cheap as it gets for drinking and honestly you only need 16 oz of dairy a day and cheese and yogurt count. 'Managers Specials', coupons and mark downs also help. Shopping sales and meal planning. I can get out on a maximum of $50 a week to feed my family of 4 and that is with a bag of cookies or a can or chocolate milk mix!

what do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:50 PM on Jul. 1, 2013 in Parenting Debate

• Honestly it completely depends on the product & number of people you have to cook for.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 7:15 PM on Jul. 1, 2013

• For those of us who are NOT Rachel Ray, or have children in activities & things get hectic, you do what you have to do. I do buy more fruits in the summertime b/c we prefer the seasonal fruits, but those get expensive when it's out of season. I am a coupon & sale shopper, so I feel like I'm doing the best I can, while knowing what they will eat & what will end up getting thrown out.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:24 PM on Jul. 1, 2013

• The truth is that the specials and coupons are mostly on the junk food.
    There is no doubt that you can make a mix (for say a cake) cheaper on your own. The thing is you have to have the ingredients on your shelf to make things and many people see the initial cost, the 5 lb. of flour and sugar and..... and then see the cake mix for a buck and a half.
    They see the mac and cheese and do not have the skills to make the same thing only better at home.
    Even baked potatoes. You see them in the store wrapped in plastic wrap. and people think it is too hard to d themselves
    It also depends. on what is in season and where you purchase it.
    If you have the skill, the majority of the time, I would say it is easier to eat better.
    If you don't, the fear of wasting the money on what will be inedible is going to over ride health. It isn't healthy if it goes in the trash.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 6:58 PM on Jul. 1, 2013

• Depends on what you're making. A nice grilled fish and vegetables is more expensive than a box of mac-n-cheese. There are healthy foods that are cheaper than that, I'm sure, if you're willing to put in the work. In general though, leaner choices like seafood and chicken breasts are more expensive than crappy quality hamburger meat or boxed garbage.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 7:22 PM on Jul. 1, 2013

• Also, it takes a lot more effort and creativity to turn cheap healthy foods into something edible. I wouldn't do well on a budget because I never learned how to cook. My husband is a great cook, but he doesn't have the time. We just throw stuff on the grill most nights. If we were suddenly on a grocery budget, I don't know what we would be eating, and we would probably end up relying on easy stuff like mac-n-cheese and spaghetti. I can see how a lot of people end up eating that way if they don't have the time or skill to cook and they can't afford lean proteins and vegetables to make easy healthy meals.
    Another thing that's unfortunate is that things like organic milk are much more expensive than regular milk. I don't know how much regular milk is these days, but I know it's a whole lot cheaper to buy the stuff that's full of growth hormones and antibiotics than it is to buy organic.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 7:56 PM on Jul. 1, 2013

• Yeah, $50 would not last my family more than a few days, but my kids are much older. We go thru 1 gal milk a day, 2 rolls of toilet paper, (I know that's not food, but still has to be factored into the shopping budget) and the box of Raisin Bran Crunch I bought on Friday, is gone already. The bananas I got to cut up & put on the cereal or have for a snack, only 1 left. Today is Monday, I shopped on Friday!

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:58 PM on Jul. 1, 2013

• If you know how/have time to cook then fast food is more expensive. If you're hungry with nothing to make at home, fast food is usually cheaper than buying all the ingredients for just one meal.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 9:35 PM on Jul. 1, 2013

• Bananas have never been under 50 cents a lb where I live.

I think it is true. Junk food is cheaper.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 7:34 PM on Jul. 1, 2013

• I can get out on a maximum of $50 a week to feed my family of 4 and that is with a bag of cookies or a can or chocolate milk mix!

There is NO way...50 bucks for 4 people? are only 2 adults?
    there is no way I could feed the 4 of us on 50 bucks a week ( the kids are an almost 17 yr old boy and a 19 yr old girl)
    though I will agree that cooking at home can be cheaper...sometimes stuff off the dollar menu can be cheap too ;)
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 7:36 PM on Jul. 1, 2013

• depends

i have read much on people who live in inner city that have no real food store near them, and only option is a 7 11 type of store - not much fruit and veggies at a store like this. lots of news on that in the city where i live. just read article about a national food store going to go into a retail space in the inner city, council approved, now the buyer is trying to lease to another dollar store- people in area are pissed- i would be too
    ----------------------------------
    i have access to real food stores and YES it can be more expensive- because when i buy "snack" foods i have to get the ones with no chemicals that preserve the food on the shelves for ages, and no artificial food dyes. these are more expensive - but well worth it, to give my child food without all the crap chemicals in them. also i get fruit and veggies from the grocery store that is close by and known for excellent produce, and very pricey
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 8:07 PM on Jul. 1, 2013