Tacky or not Tacky, he asked my husband, and I told him to tell him it was!

My husband's employee just faxed us a wedding invite, RSVP by July 1st (today) I guess that several others got the invite the same way, all today.
Okay I will swallow that, but the reception is going to be at a local pub, it says you can expect to pay $20-$30 per person for food.
Well he invited the president of the company, who promptly called and told him it was very tacky to ask people to pay for your reception.
He called my husband and asked what to do, I said just tell him to have it in the bottom of the church, cake and ice cream, and negate the "pay for your own" food part.
What do you all think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:33 PM on Jul. 1, 2013 in Relationships

• Extremely tacky!!

Answer by older at 7:48 PM on Jul. 1, 2013

• Very tacky. Including the method of delivery.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 7:36 PM on Jul. 1, 2013

• of course it's tacky... but they could have just said no... telling them it's tacky is just as bad
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 7:40 PM on Jul. 1, 2013

• Super tacky.
    You are hosting.
    Now if you were having a BBQ reception and it was just family then having a potluck is also acceptable.
    Frankly if someone did that to me I would not go and I would not send a gift wither. And to fax? totally nasty.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 7:43 PM on Jul. 1, 2013

• Holy crap, that IS way tacky! Yes, most churches let you rent space or he could have it at a park. If he can't afford a reception, he shouldn't have one and just stick to a home BBQ. If guests chip in for a reception, then they shouldn't expect gifts. I think a more casual backyard or park BBQ is less expensive and more fun, or you could suggest a potluck picnic. There are even free electronic invitation websites that make it easy to make it look decent.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 7:40 PM on Jul. 1, 2013

• the whole thing is tacky- the way you get invited and expected to give an swer right away and then pay for food?
    if you can't afford a reception- don't have one...

we didn't- we got a 20 dollar cake with flowers in our colors from Sams club- and ate it in a hotel room with the few people who came to our wedding -that was it
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 7:42 PM on Jul. 1, 2013

• He needs to apologize to everyone and just simply say that he is not so good with planning events. He should double-check with you and your husband before taking further action. I'm guessing his wife okayed this and that she's just as bad as he.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 7:43 PM on Jul. 1, 2013

• Kind of a side question, but who uses faxes nowadays? I thought everyone uses emails. He could use Evite.com to plan the event. Maybe between you and a few other employees you could just chip in for a small catering order from a local grocery store or restaurant and have it at the park...fried chicken, lemonade, iced tea, salad, pasta salad and a cake. I would just call the guy and explain that you will help him fix the situation since he doesn't know any better. I'm not sure what else you can do.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 7:49 PM on Jul. 1, 2013

• Beyond tacky. I would go, I suppose, but not gladly.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 8:00 PM on Jul. 1, 2013

• I couldn't afford that reception.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 7:35 PM on Jul. 1, 2013