Need help! 2 week old with bum rash...

So my DS is 2 weeks old and the 1st 5 days after he was born he was in the nicu. He developed a little rash on both sides of his cheeks. one side wasn't so bad and it went away, the other side looked like it was getting better; not as red as it was and it did shrink a little, but when I change his diapers and wipe his bum, the wipe shows a little bit of blood from it. I've tried desitin and a triple paste but neither is helping, what should I do????

mandi_m

Asked by mandi_m at 9:57 PM on Jul. 1, 2013 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't use anything but corn starch anymore with my diaper wearers. I suggest using it.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 10:12 PM on Jul. 1, 2013

• Sorry to hear about that. If the desitin isn't helping, maybe it isn't a diaper rash. Did they have him on any medication? Could it be a heat rash? Is it possible that it is a yeast infection? Yes, boys can get yeast infections. My boys had them when they were little. I thought it was a diaper rash and treated it with desitin. When it wasn't getting better (in fact worse), I asked my mom and she said to try using vagisil. I looked at her like she was crazy, but was desperate so I tried. Worked like a charm.

Maybe try putting a cloth diaper on him for a bit or putting him in a cool bath.

If nothing else, call the dr's office and ask the nurse. They are used to questions like that.

Hope it clears up soon.
    tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 10:12 PM on Jul. 1, 2013

• what they said
    similar experience with my youngest- doc was treating for something dont even remember came here, explained the situation and was told to put plain yogurt in diaper. next day he was clear.

the meds hadnt had any affect after 3 days
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 11:03 PM on Jul. 1, 2013

• Baby is SO young, I'd wash his bottom after EVERY poop/pee and dust with corn starch. You can do this with a soapy wash cloth and then rinse. If he were older, I'd give the same advice and slather a little Neosporin on it. Not the typical solution but works in a pinch on the butt when no other stuff works.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 12:01 AM on Jul. 2, 2013

• I had a ton of wash cloths and I washed and rinsed and dried t he bottom every time I changed even if it was only a little pee. I think I would call the pediatrician in the morning.
    I am a fan of cornstarch but I would not use it if he has an open sore on his bottom.

I also believe in letting a child lie naked in the air for a little while every day, though I can't remember if I started that young, as long as the room was not too cool.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:27 AM on Jul. 2, 2013

• Stop using wipes & wash his backside under the faucet with warm water & baby wash after every poo. Then pat dry & dab a little Desitin. He backside may be raw from the wiping. His skin is still fragile.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:04 AM on Jul. 2, 2013

• Maybe you should talk to his DOCTOR for a diagnosis. It may be a fungal infection which desitin and the like is pretty much useless on. You might need prescription strength to clear it up then use preventative stuff.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:22 PM on Jul. 2, 2013

• Unrefined Coconut Oil works well for a barrier "cream". it's natural and very moisturizing. I buy mine at Kroger, it's about $12 for a good sized jar and you only need to use a tiny bit for baby so it will last a while. You can find it in the vegetarian/vegan section at Kroger.
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 5:34 PM on Jul. 3, 2013