Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

Illegal parents, daughter is legal, can she qualify for the Pell Grant?

I mentor a few people at work. One of my them is wanting to return to school, but is having a hard time coming up with the money because she is having to pay out of pocket. I asked her if she applied for the Pell grant and she said no because her parent are illegal. Does anyone know if this is true? She is just a hard worker and I would love to be able to see her return to school.

Another important detail- She tried to call the financial aid office at the school is attended however, you have to leave a voice message with your name and student ID number. She doesn't want to bring attention to her parents legal status. Please keep this about her and not about her parents.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 10:12 PM on Jul. 1, 2013 in Money & Work

Answers (11)
  • The only way the parents legal status may be called into question regarding the pell grant is in reference to the Expected Family Contributions.

     The EFC is the sum of: (1) a percentage of net income (remaining income after subtracting allowances for basic living expenses and taxes) and (2) a percentage of net assets (assets remaining after subtracting an asset protection allowance). Different assessment rates and allowances are used for dependent students, independent students without dependents, and independent students with dependents.


    Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:20 PM on Jul. 1, 2013

  • If she is an independent student however none of her parents information is required.

    Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:21 PM on Jul. 1, 2013

  • If she is a legal, tax paying citizen with a SS # I don't see what the problem would be. She needs to fill out the paperwork to see if see qualifies.

    Answer by Crafty26 at 10:23 PM on Jul. 1, 2013

  • The issue is that she is only 19 and she doesn't qualify as an independent student so she has to provide her parents information.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:24 PM on Jul. 1, 2013

  • Well, I guess their illegal action has pretty much screwed her then hasn't it! Maybe they should be held responsible for her education.

    Either way, she should still go in and talk to someone, explain the situation. They may know how to help her.

    Answer by Crafty26 at 10:40 PM on Jul. 1, 2013

  • MY guess is no. At her age she would have to show a copy of their tax information. That would be difficult.

    Answer by Dardenella at 12:21 AM on Jul. 2, 2013

  • She will be required to show parents tax info for the fasfa. However, there are programs for minorities and she should look into those instead of the pell

    Answer by Nimue930 at 12:31 AM on Jul. 2, 2013

  • hellokittykat

    Answer by hellokittykat at 5:20 AM on Jul. 2, 2013


    Also, Texas has more lenient in-state tuition eligibility for non-citizens. She could also apply for asylum through Legal Aid if there's a good enough reason for not returning to her country


    Answer by hellokittykat at 5:24 AM on Jul. 2, 2013


    I have known a few illegal students that just worked jobs to support themselves through school. Everyone has to pay and many people can't afford it but do it somehow.


    Answer by hellokittykat at 5:27 AM on Jul. 2, 2013

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.