Can I return to Judaism, or do I have to convert?

I was raised nominally Christian, but have always felt an inexplicable pull towards Judaism. I recently found out that my maternal grandmother's maternal grandmother was a Jew who converted to Catholicism. Halachically, am I already a Jew?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:36 PM on Jul. 1, 2013 in Religion & Beliefs

• so you plan on living an Orthodox life?
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 10:47 PM on Jul. 1, 2013

• I am seriously considering it. It's much easier to be B'nei Noach, but if I am really a Jew according to Jewish law, then I believe I should follow Jewish law.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:51 PM on Jul. 1, 2013

• I believe I should follow Jewish law.

how does your family feel about that? you know, the people you share a house with?
    are you and your daughter prepared to never show your hair in public?
    if you have male and female children are you going to teach them that once they reach puberty it is forbidden for them to have physical contact?
    are you prepared to purchase a second refrigerator and set of dishes to keep kosher?

this is not something to be entered into lightly but rather an entire lifestyle change affecting not just you and your immediate family but also your parents and those who you interact with on a daily basis.

chabad

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 10:58 PM on Jul. 1, 2013

• My daughters are not married, and so would not have to cover their hair anyway. I have no sons. I already have two fridges, and two sets of dishes and cooking utensils would not be a big deal. There are many things that would be a much bigger deal. I think I Assn going to call a rabbi tomorrow.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:03 PM on Jul. 1, 2013

• Anyone can convert and if you already are Jewish I believe you just need to become a practicing Jew/Bat Mitvahed or whatever. I'd ask a rabbi.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:52 PM on Jul. 1, 2013

• You may be ethnically Jewish but religiously not. I would talk to a Rabbi to see what you need to do. Religions are not hereditary only DNA
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:12 AM on Jul. 2, 2013

• Religions are not hereditary
    Depends on who you ask. Brief overview.

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 12:37 AM on Jul. 2, 2013

• Jewish religion is hereditary on the mothers side. If you were born to a Jewish mother then you are Jewish.

Much different then other religion, though as feralxat it depends on who you ask.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 3:44 AM on Jul. 2, 2013

• I'm sure a rabbi will be happy to talk with you about investigating Judaism.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:38 AM on Jul. 2, 2013

• Only if all the women from then on have been Jewish. In Judaism (at least in Orthodox Judaism), the status of Jew is passed down by the mother. If your mother isn't Jewish, then it's irrelevant if your great grandmother was. You would have to go through a conversion.
    As many have mentioned, talk to a rabbi from the deni action you're interested in following.
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 7:24 PM on Jul. 4, 2013