Just a story.....

This one hits home so much because this scenario has played out so many times, thoughts?
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/linda-robertson/just-because-he-breathes-learning-to-truly-love-our-gay-son_b_3478971.html?icid=maing-grid7|main5|dl20|sec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D338528

Asked by older at 7:47 AM on Jul. 2, 2013 in Religious Debate

Level 69 (2,285,492 Credits)
  • I have seen people I care about try to change who they were, and who they loved, to please society. The effects were devastating. I'm glad at least some people are accepted for who they are, not for who others in their family think they ought to be.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:35 PM on Jul. 2, 2013

• A very sad and touching story, thanks for sharing.
    Alisim

Answer by Alisim at 8:06 AM on Jul. 2, 2013

• Older I'm not here to stir up trouble but I do have to comment on your "obviously time to give up!" When you believe in something you never give up.

What if those who were gay had decided to "give up" after being defeated several times? What about women's rights? Should they have given up when they were thrown in jail, laughed at, etc? What about blacks? They were burned alive, hung,etc. Should they have given up?

It doesn't matter what it is. If you believe strongly in something you never give up.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 10:37 AM on Jul. 2, 2013

• Yes I did read the story. I wish people would understand that just because you may not agree with something that you doesn't mean you don't love them. My daughters have went in ways that I don't like and they know it but they also know that I love them regardless. I don't try to change them and they don't try to change me. For the most part we simply accept each other as we are. My youngest brought home a girlfriend once. She wanted to share a bed with her. I simply looked at her and told her I wouldn't let her share a bed with a guy in my house and this was no different. Now if they had been married it would be different. They would be spouses. Since then she hasn't brought any girlfriends home but has brought a couple of boyfriends home and always with the same answer. She's never come out and said anything but I believe that she's bi and since it's her life to live I leave it be.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 11:29 AM on Jul. 2, 2013

• I am so glad that the Supreme Court turned down the rehearing on the opponents side...obviously time to give up!

Comment by older (original poster) at 9:03 AM on Jul. 2, 2013

• bacon, what I mean when I said given up is doing it legally, those who oppose this will die opposing this..I agree with you. Did you read the story? it is one that hits home because I have seen this time and time again, never with a happy ending. When you try by all the means available to you to straighten up what you think is crooked, but it is crooked by nature, nothing will come out of doing this, but despair and heartship.  If you are what you are and there is no way you can change this because it is in your very core, the one trying to change it gets emotional turmoil and desperation.

Comment by older (original poster) at 11:10 AM on Jul. 2, 2013

• Bacon, part of loving someone is sharing their lives with them whatever that may be...some families to do not share their lives with homosexuals just because they think this will be like accepting them and not condoning their lifestyle, thus loosing out in a life time of memories and good times....when you love someone you must show it not just say it and to many homosexuals, this is not love, it hurts deeply to have someone so close to just not want to share their joy.
    What you are doing with your daughter is the right thing.... but when your convictions separate a life time of bonding...this is bad......

Comment by older (original poster) at 12:16 PM on Jul. 2, 2013

• You can feel all the love in the world inside your heart, but when that loved is not shown with actions, it is as good as non existence...in a religious sense, like the story here.....you must apply your convictions to yourself not anyone else...

Comment by older (original poster) at 12:20 PM on Jul. 2, 2013

• But the flip side of the coin would be her asking me to forgo my beliefs which she knows would hurt me. For us the best thing is to agree that we believe in different things but love each other regardless. I don't ask her to change and she doesn't ask me. We are who we are.

I have another daughter who claims to be a Pagan which is not how she was raised. It comes down to it's her choice. She's an adult and I can't and won't stand in her way of how she believes. She knows I love her anyhow. I may not agree with her but that never stops the love.

Somehow people have gotten this mixed up idea that just because 2 people don't agree on something that they can't show love for each other. That you can't accept who they are.

Try being a Republician and having a Democrat daugther who loves Obama. For me that's harder to accept then having a daughter who's bi and another who's a Pagan.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 3:33 PM on Jul. 2, 2013

• bacon,Somehow people have gotten this mixed up idea that just because 2 people don't agree on something that they can't show love for each other. That you can't accept who they are.

I never said this.......of course you can disagree and accept each other with the disagreement, and love each other yes....but the problem comes when the disagreement involves not taking part on their lives for disagreeing with it....

Try being a Republician and having a Democrat daugther who loves Obama. For me that's harder to accept then having a daughter who's bi and another who's a Pagan

this one made me smile.....

Comment by older (original poster) at 3:48 PM on Jul. 2, 2013