I feel we're no longer Free!

I saw this mentioned in a question about the 4th.
This is an honest opinion from one of our moms who has the freedom to say this, just as she has the freedom to Celebrate a Holiday with as much fanfare as she wishes or to not celebrate.
I think it's sad that our Country has reached the point they feel that they are no longer free.

I live in the BEST Country there is! I'm so proud of the men and women who have sacrificed themselves so that we may be FREE!
Not really a question but an observation.
I wish ALL of you a Happy 4th of July!

PMSMom10

Asked by PMSMom10 at 9:21 AM on Jul. 2, 2013 in Holidays

• I would for anyone , I know how hard it is for our up and coming soldiers and sailors. :)
    I adore your family!!
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 9:37 AM on Jul. 2, 2013

• I'm considered anti fourth in my town because I do not attend their fanfare. Whatever, I just think a three hour long parade is ridiculous and I can't leave my neighborhood because the parade closes everything down. It's annoying lol
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 9:24 AM on Jul. 2, 2013

• I saw that too. it is sad. I am Proud to be an American & Proud of all those who have fought for our Country, those who have sacrificed & those who have died, including my Dad. Happy 4th :)

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:59 AM on Jul. 2, 2013

• I feel the same way as you do, a lot of people are not aware than among other countries, this is the best there is, it might not be perfect but then again what is?

Answer by older at 10:09 AM on Jul. 2, 2013

• I"m happy to be living in our country and believe that for the most part we're free but at the same time I realize that we are losing many of our freedoms that men and women have fought for. Something as simple as being able to eat/drink what you want to is being threatened by our government. To much salt, sugar, etc. and there are laws about it in some states! Parents are not allowed to parent as they choose (within reason).

I wouldn't give up the USA for anything I just wish the government would back out of our personal lives and let us be in control of them and our families.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 10:13 AM on Jul. 2, 2013

• i dont think America is the greatest country, but it is the greatest FOR ME. i love this country & when you look at what life was like for an average person before our independence...man, America was a crazy idea! freedom for everyone? sure it took us almost 100 years to get rid of our slaves & women couldnt vote for 150 years, but its the idea of freedom for everyone that we always strive for...its freaking awesome!

i dont like a lot of stuff our govt does, i think politicians are the worst type of scum & embody all that is wrong with America, BUT thats not what the 4th is about. its about celebrating the ideals of a country that stood up & said "hey...this needs to be changed". & with homosexuals winning 2 battles for equal rights last month...its worth celebrating on its own & as a country.

"i feel like we're no longer free"...this person needs to take some trips around the world, then they'd see just how free they are.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:12 PM on Jul. 2, 2013

• If you check post history you'll find that most of those claiming they "no longer feel free" are of the more conservative branch and are merely upset that they are no longer able to dictate the lives of others using their religious laws. Thus they feel less "free' because of things such as gay marriage being federally recognized. Really their freedoms have not lessened any, they are simply upset that others are being granted EQUALITY.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 6:17 PM on Jul. 2, 2013

• I have nothing but the utmost respect for those in the military, however I do feel that the US is no longer the "greatest". And, I think that until we, as a whole, realize it & start making the necessary changes, then we will continue to go downhill.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 11:19 AM on Jul. 2, 2013

• I love the 4th of July, and the USA, and appreciate everyone who is and has been in the armed services.
    I think people sometimes forget it's not a holiday about being the greatest. It's a holiday about becoming a country. A country that allows you to to make changes if you are unhappy with the direction of government. That is NOT the case everywhere. The more you travel out of the US, the more you appreciate it. Considering how few Americans have passports, it's not surprising that many don't have the perspective to forgive our wonderful country for not being perfect.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 12:10 PM on Jul. 2, 2013

• Well, the problem is we have a melting pot of people who all feel that their way is the RIGHT way. If THEIR way isn't seen as the right way, they bitch about it being offensive.....

Is it ever going to change? Probably not. I have to be a pessimist, but it is what it is.

It's every parents responsibility these days to encourage their children to learn and respect others' points of views....  

I used to say Bless you, every time someone sneezed.... now, I'm scared to...LOL!

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:17 PM on Jul. 2, 2013