My 5 year old is a crafty little booger

I moved a table in front of the backdoor, after I had put a sliding lock on it, put duck tape across it like police tape and tied a string from the door knob to an in wall shelf so that the door could not be opened.
He moved the table, took down the tape, cut the string with a pair of safety scissors and climbed up onto a chair to unlock the lock then ran outside into the back yard.
I give up, I have a miniature Harry Houdini on my hands.
Gates don't work either, he knows how to open them. Do they make door knobs that lock by keys on both sides? Other than that maybe I can get a pad lock and put it on the door.
The only other thing I know to do is handcuff the kid to me so he is never out of my sight lol.

AnonNdrag

Asked by AnonNdrag at 10:35 AM on Jul. 2, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• You could put a dead bolt lock that only opens with a key on the inside. You have to turn the key itself to open it. Get one of those. We have one on the back door.

It;s a Schlage lock. You NEED the key to open the door.

They sall them at Home Depot or any Lock Shop.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:44 AM on Jul. 2, 2013

• Sure, there are keyed deadbolts. You need a key to operate the lock. Then when the deadbolt is locked, you have to have the key to unlock it & open the door.

You frequently see those on entry doors that have glass windows (so someone can't just break the glass, reach in, and turn the deadbolt to open the front door and gain entry.)
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 11:00 AM on Jul. 2, 2013

• Yep, we put in double barrel deadbolts and touch alarms on our doors after my oldest son came home in a police car at 5 am.
    Just a suggestion, also put in thumb screw latches on the windows. If he's anything like my son, next he will be climbing out the window.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 11:33 AM on Jul. 2, 2013

• You can get these for the doors and windows.  You punch in a 4 digit code to disarm it.  The smaller one is for the windows and will either alarm or just chime, depending on how you set it.

GE Wireless Door and Window Alarm Kit

JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 11:36 AM on Jul. 2, 2013

• Also, if he is escaping during the night when other people are sleeping, you can put up one of these sensors in his room, and put the receiver in your room.  It will beep in your room when he walks around in his room.

JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 11:38 AM on Jul. 2, 2013

• The only thing is, check with your landlady about fire codes. My ex wanted to install those double-sided dead bolts, and they were against fire codes here.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:49 PM on Jul. 2, 2013

• sell*
    ILovemyPaulie

• Ohh good idea i will look into that thanks :)
    AnonNdrag

Comment by AnonNdrag (original poster) at 10:56 AM on Jul. 2, 2013

• Duh, forgot the picture.

JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 11:39 AM on Jul. 2, 2013

• I have the door alarms that go off when the door is open so at least I know when he gets out. I have sat him down and explained to him not to go out without me and put him in time out for it, gave him a light spank of the but and taken away privileges and toys and he still won't listen to me. The only thing I have left to try is just putting a dead bolt on it but I have to ask my land lady permission first.
    And yeah I have a censor on his bed room too, got that idea from the nursing home here in town.
    AnonNdrag

Comment by AnonNdrag (original poster) at 1:15 PM on Jul. 2, 2013