Someone else buying me a house, I feel awful....

My great-grandmother is offering to pay out in cash for house for me (it is extremely low) so I have no mortgage and get back up on my feet. But she has done so much for me in my lifetime, I feel awful I keep telling her no it is fine. Although I really like the house. I'm unable to obtain a loan even with a co-signer. And she keeps saying it is what my grandfather would want, he passed years ago.. How would you feel or what would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:43 AM on Jul. 2, 2013 in Home & Garden

• Take the House & make her happy. She would not insist unless she truly wanted to do it for you. Just do your very best to maintain it so she is proud of you. Congrats!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:47 AM on Jul. 2, 2013

• I would accept her offer.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 10:50 AM on Jul. 2, 2013

• I agree with the others, take the house and thank her profoundly lol. That's a wonderful grandmother you have.
    AnonNdrag

Answer by AnonNdrag at 10:58 AM on Jul. 2, 2013

• My husband's aunt (who is like his grandma) says "I want you to enjoy things while I'm here to see it, not when I'm in the ground."
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 11:01 AM on Jul. 2, 2013

• accept it and slowly pay her back
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 11:03 AM on Jul. 2, 2013

• I'd consider it an early inheritance & be grateful.

3libras

Answer by 3libras at 11:14 AM on Jul. 2, 2013

• My grandmother says that to about she would rather be able to be here with me and my kids while we enjoy it.. And she won't let me pay her back, she never has. I just feel so bad because of all she has done for me..
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:33 AM on Jul. 2, 2013

• Take it and don't feel bad, get back on your feet! I bet you will make sure she is over a lot visiting and enjoying it and the kids and you. :)
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 12:01 PM on Jul. 2, 2013

• Take the damn house. You would be stupid not to.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 12:04 PM on Jul. 2, 2013

• You might want to ask an accountant about gift taxes you might be liable for. This is a gift larger then allowed by federal rules (14K a year, I believe) and you don't want any problems with the IRS!! Also, are there other grandchildren who might be offended?? In the end I totally understand her wanting to see you enjoy this house while she is alive. GL
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 1:19 PM on Jul. 2, 2013