Plus Sized and pregnant?

I have no idea what to expect with being plus sized and pregnant. I'd been working on losing weight in case this ever happened, but I didn't get very far.

About when do you start really showing like you're pregnant and not just gaining more weight? What should I be eating/not eating? Is there any exercises I can still do even though I'm pregnant??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:48 AM on Jul. 2, 2013 in Pregnancy

• Talk to your doctor. I was overweight when I got pregnant and my Dr. advised me not to gain too much weight, only 25 pounds. I ate healthy, but didn't diet and did just fine. I didn't gain more than my Dr. suggested and was able to lose my pregnancy weight and more once I delivered. :)
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 11:58 AM on Jul. 2, 2013

• I would talk to your doc ad see what they suggest its your safest bet! I gain 50+ lbs with each pregnancy but I wasn't overweight. But talk to your doctor!
    rachel216

Answer by rachel216 at 12:33 PM on Jul. 2, 2013

• Eat healthy. If you were on an exercise regimen before you got pregnant, you can usually continue it unless for some reason your doctor tells you not to.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 12:35 PM on Jul. 2, 2013

• You can do any exercises you can do normally. I gained 50 lbs with my first and with the second my Dr said try and keep it to 15 lbs or so since that's about all the baby and all fixings(amnio etc) weighs. Eat for quality and not quantity.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 2:44 PM on Jul. 2, 2013

• I was considered morbidly obese before both pregnancies. I don't know when I started looking pregnant and not just fat. I do know that finding maternity clothes was impossible. This was long ago, so I don't know if they make plus size maternaty clothes now.  I ended up getting skirts with elastic bands, large stretchy pants, and large (5x) shirts. Like others have said, your doctor is where you will get your best advise on what to do for exercise. I was also advised to not gain too much, but also not put on a diet. I would think, that if you requested it, your doctor could get you a referal to see a nutritionist.

musicmaker

Answer by musicmaker at 2:54 PM on Jul. 2, 2013

• For every woman it is different. I started showing, like actually showing, very early on in the pregnancy, like around 3 months, but I have an over abundance of amniotic fluid. Some plus size women never show, Like my aunt. Foods, you're best bet is to eat as you're OBGYN/Midwife suggests. I have to eat every two hours, and try to stay clear of fast food, but other then that, I have no major restrictions, and I am considered Morbidly Obese.

As for exercising, Talk to your doctor! Basically all I can do is walking, and jogging. There are some safe things you can do, but you need to find out from your doctor before you make that choice.

Hope this helps!!
    ChrysAsh

Answer by ChrysAsh at 5:13 PM on Jul. 21, 2013