Follow up to another post- should only the wealthy be pet owners?

OK- I think I know what kind of responses I will get here, but seriously, besides yearly shots & regular upkeep, who has thousands of dollars just laying around in case their pet needs surgery of emergency medical care? I know we sure don't. But does that mean our family should be deprived of the opportunity of welcoming a pet into our home? We are great pet owners & there are a lot of pets out there who need a good, loving home. We are lucky to have found a vet that will accept payments, when we did have an incident a few years back. But I know of someone who had to put their puppy to sleep b/c their vet would not accept payments & the puppy required emergency surgery b/c it ate a plastic sippy cup. That to me is sickening. That vet obviously cared more about his bank account than helping the animal. He shouldn't be in that profession. -Your thoughts?

mrsmom110

Asked by mrsmom110 at 1:02 PM on Jul. 2, 2013 in Pets

• I agree with you when it comes to the vet, but unfortunately everyone is out there to make a buck! and no pet ownership should relate to kind hearts who want to spread the love to their animals...$ does not have much to do with this!

Answer by older at 1:21 PM on Jul. 2, 2013

• There are charities that will help in case of emergencies. Beyond that, as much as people love their pets, if you are in the position to choose between feeding your child and feeding your pet, the pet should not win. If you are facing eviction, or having your lights turned off, or can't put gas in your car and still have money left to buy food and flea treatment, you are not in a position to have the LUXURY of a pet - because unless it's a service animal, they are luxuries.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:06 PM on Jul. 2, 2013

• Bottom line....Vets charge way too much. They get us between a rock & a hard place. My Sister just paid $1,600 on a sick stray kitten she brought home. I LOVE animals but I have to say that if it were me, I'd have let the kitty go at the Park. Although because I know better, I would never take in a stray because I can't afford it right now. Maybe when the kids are bigger & finances are better I will get a dog. We had all kinds of pets when I grew up but Vet bills were nowhere near what they charge today. It is sad for the little helpless creatures though. :(
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:15 PM on Jul. 2, 2013

• Most vets are willing to work with someone for pay arrangements, I just don't get how a person can watch an animal suffer and turn a blind eye to a member of the family. I know that many no kill shelters will take an animal who is hurt, fix it back up then adopt it out. I can't imagine watching my dog in pain over money, somehow doing the right thing will pay off in the long run.
    I think there is also a time to have the put down in a humane way, not just let them suffer and die.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 2:17 PM on Jul. 2, 2013

• There would be a ton of euthenized pets if that were true.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 1:06 PM on Jul. 2, 2013

• No, but if the pet is in serious trouble, a decent pet owner finds a way. When I was 22 and very broke, I paid $550 (half a month of my income) for a surgery for my ferret, and she didn't live through it. I was so upset that the vet charged me that much, when I had told him that if he opened her up and it looked hopeless, to please not let her wake up. The bastard kept her under for an hour and a half and kept removing tumors until nothing was left, THEN gave her enough anesthetic to stop her heart, THEN called to tell me it was hopeless, THEN charged me $550.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:08 PM on Jul. 2, 2013

• You are adopting a live creature into your family. You are responsible for all of its needs just as you would be a child. If You child swallowed something and was in obvious pain and distress would you just say I can not afford it?
    You do not expect the unexpected to happen, but responsible people know it might.
    Do you have to be rich. No. The dog needs a yearly exam and any shots, deworming , teeth cleaning, etc. The dog needs to be regularly groomed. and flea and tick preventatives used. It is not cheap, like keeping a growing child healthy. If you take on the responsibility it is up to you to fulfill those needs or you should not have an animal.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:21 PM on Jul. 2, 2013

• I think it's reasonable for someone who can afford the food and basic vetting of an animal to have one. Not all pets have emergencies, and many vets will work with a payment plan. Or like NP said, there are places to find help. Honestly pet owners can choose whether to put their pet through a surgery or to humanely put them down if it's that bad. Many people won't pay thousands of dollars for a pet even if they CAN afford it. If it ever got to where we couldn't provide for the basic needs of our animals we would find them homes that could, but I don't think that people should be deprived owning pets just because they can't afford the "what if's."

If this is about the other post, then I agree - if your pet is having trouble you need to call someone who can actually help you, not come on a site and expect others to magically help through the screen.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 1:40 PM on Jul. 2, 2013

• And not all owners take their pets to the groomer - I've never been told it's a requirement. Our dog is regularly bathed, brushed, and taken care of here at home. She is taken to the vet for her check ups and shots, heart worm prevention, and she is fed and exercised and loved. Our cats go to the vet for their check ups and shots, and they have their toys and so forth. We could afford small emergencies - we had to have our dog treated for heart worm after one of her first vet visits. But I don't think we should have to give up the pets we've had for years just because we couldn't afford thousands of dollars IF something went wrong. Out of all the pets we've had growing up we've never had that kind of emergency happen. We had two dogs and a cat die of old age, one cat was opened up to check his cancer situation and put down because it was to extensive, and one pup die of liver failure - we knew he was sick when we got him cont
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 1:45 PM on Jul. 2, 2013

• even the vet had said there was nothing we could have done. We adopted him knowing he might not make it, but we wanted to give him the best life we could for as long as he had, so at least he died having known love and a happy home.

So not all animals need thousands of dollars worth of medical care. Especially when you have mixed breeds who aren't as prone to the same health problems as "pure" breeds. Out of all the pets we've had who have lived their lives (sorry, that was one dog of old age, and the cat of old age, the other because the cancer, idk where two came from - maybe I was thinking of the pup that died, too and just slipped in my counting) none of them have needed extensive care.

And our vets aren't that expensive. I'm wanting to say the check ups for our cats are 30 or 40 bucks, and the dog isn't that much more, until you factor in the heart worm prevention.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 1:53 PM on Jul. 2, 2013