Is a mini crib going to be big enough for my baby to use til toddlerhood?

We cosleep now. She wont have it any other way but as she starts Rollin and crawling more she will need naps in this cage thing.

Its decent size. Do they really need more space to sleep? I have never used a crib before.

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 2:44 PM on Jul. 2, 2013 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Ok. Cages have tops. Not bashing cribs. Haven't had my coffee yet.
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 2:46 PM on Jul. 2, 2013

• Really needing to know if I should sell it now and use the pack n play til we can buy another. Everytime I put her in the mini crib she rolls over and gets her arms and legs stuck in the slats and screams.
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 2:48 PM on Jul. 2, 2013

• what's the length of the mini crib?
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 2:50 PM on Jul. 2, 2013

• Demensions of an "average" crib are 60x29½x47"

Dimensions of a mini crib are 44.2 x 36.0 x 9.2 The last number on the average crib is most likely from floor to top and the mini seems to be from matress to top of railing.

They don't seem much different to me. I'm sure they would be fine, but I would worry(just as with any crib) about the child climbing out once she begins to stand up in the crib. My son started climbing out at around 10 mths and I had to keep lowering the bed(which I don't know if you can do so with a mini crib) mattress down.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 2:51 PM on Jul. 2, 2013

• If she is getting her arms and legs caught then i wouldn't use it on her. My son spent a great deal of time in a play pen for a bed as we traveled a lot and that was best to take with us. It really is no different then a crib except the mesh side makes it safer for babies who tend to get stuck.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 2:53 PM on Jul. 2, 2013

• I'd get rid of the mini crib thing and just use the Pack and Play. It would be harder for the baby to climb out of.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:55 PM on Jul. 2, 2013

• Yes the mattress height is adjustable and the whole thing folds flat for storage and moving. It's super convenient. I DON'T like her getting all stuck in it though. She has to be contained somehow. The pack n play is a safer place for her, but I don't ever hear of people using those as cribs. Not sure why?
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 3:56 PM on Jul. 2, 2013

• Maybe you can get a bumper for the mini crib? You can use a Pack & Play as a crib when you take off the top thing & get a pack & play mattress. They sell fitted sheets for it too. I used the Pack & Play as a bassinet on the top part with the mattress until my Daughter was 3 months then I moved her to a regular crib. Once they can sit up or crawl then you can't use the top part for sleeping since they can fall out. But if you get a mattress for about $20 then use it as a crib.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 4:07 PM on Jul. 2, 2013

• Most people in the history of the world have managed, somehow, without cribs of any kind. Frankly, you probably still need to rest, if not nap alongside her anyhow.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 4:21 PM on Jul. 2, 2013

• I would use a pack and Play and then switch to a cheap twin bed at 15-18 months.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:39 PM on Jul. 2, 2013