Security jobs

I've been cleaning for over 10 years strong and I feel that it's not the career I want anymore.
I have a friend who has paid for her training and taken her tests and she thinks it would be a great job for me.
I would go for the unarmed security because I don't feel like I could carry a weapon and be comfortable with it.
I was wondering what are the ups and downs of this type of job and do you think I should steer clear of this job?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:30 PM on Jul. 2, 2013 in Money & Work

• My daughter used to do it and it wasn't bad. Lots of time on her feet. Basically she had to walk around the plant, check badges, etc. If she suspected anyone was on drugs, drinking she had to send them to someone else to do a drug test but it was fairly easy for her. She also had to work night shifts which were hard on her. Her daughter would wake up about the time she got home so she ended up getting very little sleep.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 3:48 PM on Jul. 2, 2013

• It really depends also on what type of facility you will be working at and the type of people it attracts. A more professional business or plant will be much different then say a mall or other shopping area. The first you mainly interact with employees who do not typically want to lose their job and they will behave accordingly. With the latter you are more likely to have interactions with very rude, abusive and sometimes more violent people.

tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 4:37 PM on Jul. 2, 2013

• If you are not comfortable with a weapon does that mean you are not comfortable with violence at all as in hand to hand?
    How can you defend anything is you can't use something to protect it? Isn't that the point of security?
    Just asking?
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 5:33 PM on Jul. 2, 2013