Why are we all so afraid to use the "N" word?

Maybe I'm a little dense but why is it wrong to actually say Niggar but it's ok to use the terms Cracker & Oreo? Why do we all say N?

I'm not saying to go out and call someone a Niggar but it's sounds crazy to me to take it down to N.

I look on it the same as the "B" word. I don't call anyone a Bitch because to me that's a female dog. To me calling someone a B is the same as calling them a Bitch.

So what's the difference?

baconbits

Asked by baconbits at 4:13 PM on Jul. 2, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• I guess I'm having trouble at times because her aunt (Black) uses the Niggar term ... In the same breath she'll call me a cracker and my granddaughter an oreo.

Baconbits, your poor granddaughter! Having to listen to that ... The aunt is keeping the negative aspects of racial diversity alive. It would bother me that the aunt is calling anybody names at all, and in the family no less. I'd probably tell her if she was going to insist on calling you a cracker and your daughter an Oreo, she could take her flapping lips and banging gums someplace else.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:19 AM on Jul. 3, 2013

• You shouldn't confuse intelligence with fear.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:15 PM on Jul. 2, 2013

• I don't say any of those words (unless I'm referring to the food items of the last two), though not out of fear - I think they're lazy, unintelligent words, and that they're disrespectful to those they're referring to.

Same reason I don't usually "swear" or "curse." I feel that there are better ways of expressing myself, and often only slip or resort to profanity, so to speak, when faced with something I find extremely unintelligent or offensive.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 4:26 PM on Jul. 2, 2013

• Well, partly because we are not *that* far removed form the Civil Rights Movement that took place between 1954 and 1964. All thought the world is in a different place now than it was then there are still people alive who remember how bad it was and how hard they had to fight for equal rights. Those people are still on the defensive and they are raising their children to have that same sense of defense. Which is only natural. The Untied States is still adjusting to equal rights among the races. It will get better and better every year that passes. Every generation lets down the defenses a little more. Until we get to the point where *everyone* is 100% comfortable with the equality of the nation people will take offense to racial slurs. Particularly when referring to a race that was essentially treated as 'less than' a mere 49-50 years ago.
    Anonymous

• i dont like any racially motivated names and like mrsmom said the history of the N word is disgusting. you ever seen the movie Glory? theres a scene with Denzel & Freeman that kinda explains that the N word was basically a black red-neck, only worse...a lazy, no good, stereotyped, ignorant fool. its more than a slur, it was a word meant to tear down any shred of esteem a black man might gain. why some rappers wanted to "reclaim" it and continue to use i'll never understand. imagine the worst name you can call someone, then add a racial element to it...thats the N word.

i dont refrain from using it out of fear. i refrain from using it out of common decency.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:28 PM on Jul. 2, 2013

• It's not fear. It's just not in my vocabulary.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 4:52 PM on Jul. 2, 2013

• First off it's spelled with an E not an A. Secondly it's not about fear it's about common decency, which clearly you are lacking. (same thing goes for the other two you listed)

KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 6:49 PM on Jul. 2, 2013

• http://www.cbsnews.com/2100-201_162-3032635.html

Because it's an ugly word that comes from an ugly time in our country's shameful past.  Obviously the symbolic burial of the word they did in Detroit wasn't successful.  I also think the term cracker is highly offensive since it means the master who cracked the whip.  Quite frankly I'm tired of the whole thing & just wish people would stop being so hateful toward one another.  Hey, I can dream can't I? :/

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 9:08 PM on Jul. 2, 2013

• Name ccalling is pretty much offensive across the board. I've resorted to it at times, but I try not to. The particular word you are asking about does seem to have been elevated to the queen mother of "do not utter" status, but really, if you say "sweetheart" but really mean "bitch"--well, first of all it comes across in your tone, and secondly, the original intent makes the fake blandishment just as bad as the word you meant to say all along.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:27 PM on Jul. 2, 2013

• I don't like any of those words. It isn't that I am afraid to use them, it's that I don't feel the need to label someone by their skin color in any derogatory way.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:48 PM on Jul. 2, 2013