Baby teeth cavities

My daughter is under orthodontic treatment, I saw two visible cavities in her teeth and asked orthodontist to recommend a good children's doctor to treat her teeth, clean them and so...

We came to that doctor, he barely looked into my daughter mouth and told my daughter has cavities in every tooth...I did not believe him and left...

Today orthodontist told that in order to put the device in my daughter mouth she needs two teeth fixed. That she won't put the device until the cavities, even though small will be fixed.

I don't know what to do...these cavities do not bother my daughter now, I afraid of unnecessary intervention, x-rays and so...On the other hand I feel bad mom who do not treat her daughter's mouth right.

What would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:39 PM on Jul. 2, 2013 in Kids' Health

• Fix her damn teeth.
    Do you want a kid who grows up and is afraid to smile?
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 5:44 PM on Jul. 2, 2013

• You can see for yourself on an x-ray where there is a cavity. Ask them to look yourself. They appear as white/grey spots. Go to another Dentist that someone else recommends then. Why is she seeing an Orthodontist?
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 5:46 PM on Jul. 2, 2013

• The fear started when I read two yelp reviews on the pediatric dentist I was referred by orthodontist. It said he does unnecessary work on baby teeth. After he said that every tooth has a decay it only confirmed my fears... The orthodontist straightens permanent teeth... My daughter doesn't brush well and I am literally having panic attack right now because I am so torn out...orthodontist did not think she have cavities in every tooth...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:47 PM on Jul. 2, 2013

• OK, then why not try a New Dentist? Why does she need teeth straightened if she doesn't have all her adult teeth in already? Have teeth already fallen out due to tooth decay? Brush her teeth yourself every night.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 5:50 PM on Jul. 2, 2013

• So, go get a second opinion and then treat. You never did say what the Ortho was doing...?
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:15 PM on Jul. 2, 2013

• Get a second and third opinion if needed
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 7:32 PM on Jul. 2, 2013

• As a former dental assistant here is what I would do if it were my child - I would find a new general dentist or a pediatric dentist and have an initial exam appointment (exam, xrays) and consult with the DDS on what the orthodontist's findings were. If I felt comfortable and trusted that DDS then I would go ahead and schedule whatever appointments are needed to get my child's teeth healthy and to continue on with the ortho tx. Baby teeth ARE important and if they have decay they should be treated and filled!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 11:45 AM on Jul. 3, 2013

• You have to treat the cavities. I was scared when my son had to have laughing gas to fix his, but I would never forgive myself if his permanent teeth suffered due to my worry. X-rays are not unnecessary in dental care...most times it is the only way they can see small cavities. Find a dentist, get her treated. As far as the ortho, my childs dentist is trying to get me to put braces on her at the age of 9. I flat out said to her "so you want me to pay for braces now, then pay for them again when the rest of her teeth come in?" She said yes. I asked her if having them now would prevent the others from coming in in the wrong position, she said no. We are waiting on braces based only on the fact that she is young, but close to losing the others and her one tooth that is a little cricked is not too bad. Treat the cavities.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 10:59 PM on Jul. 7, 2013