Baby teeth cavities

My daughter is under orthodontic treatment, I saw two visible cavities in her teeth and asked orthodontist to recommend a good children's doctor to treat her teeth, clean them and so...

We came to that doctor, he barely looked into my daughter mouth and told my daughter has cavities in every tooth...I did not believe him and left...

Today orthodontist told that in order to put the device in my daughter mouth she needs two teeth fixed. That she won't put the device until the cavities, even though small will be fixed.

I don't know what to do...these cavities do not bother my daughter now, I afraid of unnecessary intervention, x-rays and so...On the other hand I feel bad mom who do not treat her daughter's mouth right.

What would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:39 PM on Jul. 2, 2013 in Kids' Health

• How old is your DD?
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:39 PM on Jul. 2, 2013

• My daughter is 8... Every dentist will have to take x-rays and injections, laughing gas...all unhealthy staff...when you start treatment the teeth might start hurt, the fillings might start to fall out...I also know that some dentists do not hesitate to drill baby teeth for insurance money...

On other hand, my dd has two visible cavities, one of the teeth the orthodontist suggested to pool out and treat the other one...plus two additional cavities that she found today when the dental device was supposed to be put...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:47 PM on Jul. 2, 2013

• untreated cavities could lead to abscesses, gum disease., heart problems, malformation of the jaw bone, delayed language, poorly spaced adult teeth and in rare cases death

even if they are small, they need to be treated. even if you decide to get a second opinion its best to not delay treatment
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 4:47 PM on Jul. 2, 2013

• Get her treated! It's not the worst thing ever and eventually they will fall out but who nos when that will happen.
    rachel216

Answer by rachel216 at 4:51 PM on Jul. 2, 2013

• Okay so first off: What sort of a device is a Ortho trying to put on baby teeth? what is the indication?

Second. The cavities need to be treated for all the reasons listed above.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:55 PM on Jul. 2, 2013

• She needs to have X-Rays. Go to another Dentist or a Pediatric Dentist & have the cavities filled before all of the above mentioned issues arise (what feralxat said). She needs the teeth healthy for placement of the adult teeth. The back baby teeth do not fall out until 10 or 11. By then her cavities will have rotted out the adult teeth as well.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 4:58 PM on Jul. 2, 2013

• BTW, she doesn't have to have gas. They can use Novocain & numb the area first with a numbing gel. My Son didn't even know he was injected by a needle.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 5:00 PM on Jul. 2, 2013

• Get a second opinion and treatment. Kids have died from untreated tooth decay. Somehow I think a necrotic abscess from an untreated tooth is far less healthy than x-rays and laughing gas and fillings.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 5:12 PM on Jul. 2, 2013

• How old is she and why is an ortho straightening baby teeth. ? Maybe there is new thought but last I heard this was for permanent teeth. That said cavities in baby teeth will affect the permanent teeth that they rest on and you are setting her up for serious dental work if they are not fixed./
    Before you go with orthodontics you might want to be sure she will actially clean her teeth because if she doesn't anywere those braces rest will collect all that is needed for huge cavities and you money will go down the dentists drain.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 5:38 PM on Jul. 2, 2013

• One side of me tells that I should treat the cavities because of the reasons above. The other side of me tells that I was subject for unnecessary treatment for profit only and I do not want my daughter be part of it. I live above 7 years with tooth whose treatment was Absolutely required and would cost me aver thousand dollars. Baby teeth eventually do fall out by themselves. I feel so confused and so idiot...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:39 PM on Jul. 2, 2013