Fires in America?

In light of the recent tragedy this question of mine comes up again in my head? Quoting an acquaintance of mine on Facebook they wrote the following:

There is a HUGE 747cargo plane turned into the World's largest firefighting tanker. And the state and federal governments of the United States refuse to use it. It’s licensed by the FAA and all the technical and safety issues have been settled and granted certificates. Mexico and Israel have hired the planes in recent years. It’s cheaper per gallon dumped than any of the tankers you see on the television video that’s filling the networks right now. evergreen has been fighting hard for years to get the government the hire the plane and for no clear reason, the government won’t do it. it can drop a line of water miles long around a fire, causing it to burn out of fuel. It can protect structures on the ground. Since the plane has a capacity of more than 20-thousand gallons…the forest service wrote the bid rules to say they would not consider any plane over five thousand. We spend close to a billion dollars a year, as a country, fighting fires. And this plane can fly to any place in the continental united states in less than three hours…for a couple of percent of that figure. Americans who are seeing hotshots die, their farms, forests, ranches and homes go up in flames should be asking why our governments won’t use it.

marymargret

Asked by marymargret at 5:00 PM on Jul. 2, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• marymargret

Comment by marymargret (original poster) at 5:06 PM on Jul. 2, 2013

• So ... why won't our governments use it?
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:11 PM on Jul. 2, 2013

• That is the question?
    marymargret

Comment by marymargret (original poster) at 5:12 PM on Jul. 2, 2013

• That is the definition of bureaucracy for you.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 8:50 PM on Jul. 2, 2013

• cause it would put some fire fighters out of work? honestly, i dunno.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 9:18 PM on Jul. 2, 2013

• http://www.kxl.com/06/13/13/Fire-Fighting-Frustration/landing_lars.html?blockID=694149&feedID=10628

I haven't been able to give this a listen yet. But I also wonder if it would have made much difference; the fire took a sudden unexpected turn.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:35 AM on Jul. 3, 2013

• Gee, just think about who runs the govt. In whose best interest is it to let the fires burn?
    29again

Answer by 29again at 1:01 AM on Jul. 3, 2013

• To me this is just another thing that shows me our government doesn't give a crap about it's people. The past couple of years people have died and houses have burned to the ground because of these fires and they have a tool that could help at least get these fires under control and they don't use it.  I have heard that there are federal regulations in place that may be the reason they don't use this particular plane.  I have heard, not sure it this is accurate, that those regulations are specifically that they are only allowed to use small businesses and planes that hold 5000 gallons of water or less.  To me that is sad and poor excuse not to use the plane if American people are loosing their houses and people are dying.  To me they are just filling each others pockets at the cost of the American people.

marymargret

Comment by marymargret (original poster) at 11:34 AM on Jul. 3, 2013