How to do toilet training at night for a 4 yr old

kags61

Asked by kags61 at 6:26 PM on Jul. 2, 2013 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• will i cut out drinks before 6 and lift him when i go to bed
    kags61

Comment by kags61 (original poster) at 6:28 PM on Jul. 2, 2013

• We waited until DD woke up dry the first time. We let her have water at night, but we always make sure she goes potty right before bed.. Our trick when she was 4 was to always walk to to the bathroom before we went to bed, around 11pm. She only had an accident a few times.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 6:32 PM on Jul. 2, 2013

• What worked, or helped, with my kids: nothing to drink 1 hour before bed time, go potty last thing before going to bed, go potty first thing in the morning.

They both got it within days of day time potty training.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 6:36 PM on Jul. 2, 2013

• Once their little bodies are ready, they'll get it. I put my daughter in pull-ups for about ten days after she was finally trained in the daytime at three and a half. She woke up dry every time, so I gave the pull-ups away, and that was that. She goes potty right before bed and first thing in the morning, but I haven't even had to rstrict evening fluids.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:40 PM on Jul. 2, 2013

• There is no such thing as 'night time training'. They will stop when they stop. They have to be physically and metabolically ready and then it will end on it's own. Until then. Keep up with what you are doing and consider waking her up before you go to bed and walking her to the potty for one last pee for the night. Don't make her feel bad about it. she is not doing it on purpose. I am sure she is ready to grow out of it as well.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:43 PM on Jul. 2, 2013

• what But Mommie said, also depending on her bedtime, I don't think not letting her have water is going to make any difference, except she might get thirsty in the middle of the night.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 7:03 PM on Jul. 2, 2013

• Good ideas here, but it differs widely when children will stay dry at night. Their body has to mature to that level. I know some kids who went to 8, 10, 12 years old before being dry at night.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 7:30 PM on Jul. 2, 2013

• Some kids just have a hard time learning to hold it at night. My oldest learned early before 2 yo. My youngest, it took tell she was 6 to finally stop.

Answer by louise2 at 7:49 PM on Jul. 2, 2013

• Until their kidneys are concentrating urine while they sleep (a developmental stage that can happen anywhere between 18mo and 14 years --it's largely genetic) there isn't anything at all you can 'do' about it.

Except avoid suggestions of making children dehydrated overnight, which is quite dangerous and will have absolutely no effect.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 12:03 AM on Jul. 3, 2013