4 Bedroom Home with 3 Upstairs & Toddlers?!

There's only three of us. I didn't want an upstairs, but I couldn't turn down the purchase amount and offer... But anyways it's a 1 1/2 story home. 3 of the bedrooms and 1 bathroom is upstairs. How do you do it with toddlers. I'd like all of our rooms to be on the same floor and either make the fourth bedroom a guest room, home office, or play room... The home has a full basement as well which I thought would be a good play room & office if it doesn't get water..

Anyways my biggest issue is the steps. Even though my oldest is good with steps, both my children are toddlers and I don't want them playing on the steps (for upstairs or the basement).. But I want them to be able to go to their room or play room and play if I'm in the kitchen cooking or working...

How would you do it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:38 PM on Jul. 2, 2013 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Teach them to safely go up and down, according to their capabilities....they will learn how to do it safely in no time....if you have one of those careless toddlers, make more of an effort with those to teach them safety.

Answer by older at 6:41 PM on Jul. 2, 2013

• Get some baby gates that mount to the walls. Mount one at the top of the stairs and one at the bottom of the stairs. That way the likelihood of them falling down said stairs is reduced.

I'd put you all in the bedrooms at the top, and make the extra room a play room.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 6:43 PM on Jul. 2, 2013

• Baby gates and teaching them correct safety for stairs. It's not overly complicated. Hold the railing when walking up or down and for the younger ones Sit on the butt and slide down one step at a time and crawl up one step at a time. You know, common sense.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 6:45 PM on Jul. 2, 2013

• Plus, if you put the toys in the playroom on the main floor, then close off the upstairs when you aren't going up with the kid, and use a gate at the top so they won't fal during the night, the kids won't have to go upstairs to their bedrooms that much by themselves. Plenty of play space in the main floor bedroom and the basement. Also, you could get baby monitors and place them throughout the different floors so you can hear the kids clearly wherever you are in the house.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 7:13 PM on Jul. 2, 2013

• Oh, and if you have a really little one, he or she might find it easier to go down the stairs on the tummy, feet first. So basically step one foot down, then the other, while bent over. Our daughter did this at first, then graduated at her own pace to scooting down on her bottom, and finally walking down holding the railing.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 7:15 PM on Jul. 2, 2013

• Baby gates and teaching them correct safety for stairs. It's not overly complicated. <<<< yup... this!!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 7:29 PM on Jul. 2, 2013

• Carpet the stairs going up stairs to the bedrooms. And teach them how to go up and down them properly. Kids learn fast.

Answer by louise2 at 7:31 PM on Jul. 2, 2013

• We kept a baby gate at the top and bottom of the stairs. We kept them up even after DD was old enough to handle the stairs because we worried she might use the bathroom late at night and tumble down them half asleep. Plus it kept our cats downstairs.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 7:32 PM on Jul. 2, 2013

• Gates, top & bottom. Permanent ones attached to the wall on one side that swing open & lock. I've had them up for years. Done!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 7:33 PM on Jul. 2, 2013

• Gates and the top/bottom of stairs and always walk with them when they are on the stairs.
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 10:29 PM on Jul. 2, 2013