Does your ASD kid do this?

I've noticed recently that my son has to tell everybody everything. Almost like tattle-telling but not with the same intentions. It's just like he feels the need to inform everyone of what's going on or what just happened, even the most menial things. For example, just right now he was getting ready to go play outside but couldn't find his regular shoes so he put on another pair. As soon as he ran outside he ran over to the neighbor kids and told each one of them that he wasn't wearing his red shoes because he couldn't find them so he was wearing these shoes. The kids (who are a bit older and don't know my son very well) kinda looked at him weird. I felt bad for my son but I didn't say anything because he's just being him. I don't think he noticed anyway.

maecntpntz219

Asked by maecntpntz219 at 10:41 PM on Jul. 2, 2013 in Special Needs

• Oh yes! My teenage Aspie stepson still does that, although it has toned down a little in the last few years. If you think about it, it's a fairly natural behavior for a four- or five-year-old kid. It just seems odd on a special needs child who is older.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:24 PM on Jul. 2, 2013

• I never know what's normal and what isn't. I've questioned his diagnosis since day 1 but I'm really started to see some awkward social tendencies in him and have a hard time distinguishing if it's really autism or if it's because he's a somewhat sheltered 4 year old only child.
    maecntpntz219

Comment by maecntpntz219 (original poster) at 11:38 PM on Jul. 2, 2013

• Your boy is young, and I'm guessing not in school yet. Here is something I wish someone had told me. My son is almost 19, and has Asperger's. Elementary and middle school were torture for him. He seemed "normal" He wasn't obviously disabled, so he got labeled the weird kid.  Kids can be very cruel and sneaky. My son was teased and ostracized. Not usually in front of teachers, but as the music teacher, I clearly remember 2 times my son was teased right in front of me. It got so bad on the bus that I ended up driving him to and from school. So my advise to you is to make sure you meet with the school administrators, councilors, psychologist, and his teacher and ask what they plan to do to make sure your son is socially accepted, at least by some, and what is their plan if he is teased or ostracized. Some school have a socializing group for those that are socially awkward. My son's schools did not.

musicmaker

Answer by musicmaker at 1:09 AM on Jul. 3, 2013

• Thank you music. He has been attending an autism special day class preschool since February and will start an Autism support Kindergarten class next month. So right now he is surrounded by kids "like him" and I believe when they integrate with general ed the kids in that class have been told about the AS class in at least an age appropriate way. It's the kids outside of school (for now) that worries me.
    maecntpntz219

Comment by maecntpntz219 (original poster) at 1:22 AM on Jul. 3, 2013

• Oh, I don't know why I thought your son was older. At four, tat might be just the way he is because he's four. My five-year-old does that a lot. Tells people she doesn't even know that she lost her pool toys or got new shoes or whatever. If he still does it in a few years, it might be more out of the norm.

Best of luck to him in kindergarten!
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:43 AM on Jul. 3, 2013

• DS does, in his own manner of speech. He will go on and on about some random little detail, but most can't understand what he is saying. He is 7.
    saphire_eyes802

Answer by saphire_eyes802 at 8:59 AM on Jul. 3, 2013

• yes, my almost 6 year old does this
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 10:58 AM on Jul. 4, 2013

• At four, it may just be because he's 4. My son used to tell the world all of MY business...that one took a while to teach him that it's not his place to tell what I'm doing. He still slips now and then, but I think it's because he's excited about what's going on. He's 11...
    whoodathunk

Answer by whoodathunk at 1:19 PM on Jul. 5, 2013

• My son does this all day, everyday.

He tells everyone, explains it and then over explains it. There is no simple statement.
    MotoStar

Answer by MotoStar at 10:00 PM on Aug. 12, 2013