I admit it, this is a boring question BUT how do you clean an ancient bath tub with darkening around the base of the tub?

This tub of ours is so old, the porcelain or whatever is gone. I'm beginning to think I'm seeing the metal (or whatever it's made of) under the white coating.

Anyway, no amount of straight bleach or other cleaner has worked, including A-MAZ. Any suggestions as to how to clean it?

...maybe I've worn all the shiny stuff away. Who knows.

jeanclaudia

Asked by jeanclaudia at 12:03 AM on Jul. 3, 2013 in Home & Garden

• Go to an actual cleaning supply store and ask them. I can't remember its name but they will know right away what you want. It is not inexpensive. It is creamy, in case you need to know.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:43 AM on Jul. 3, 2013

• As you may have already guessed, you actually can't bleach metal white. Bleach doesn't have any effect on the colour of metal, although it can speed corrosion...

You can re-surface tubs, relatively cheaply (although it has to stay dry to cure for a long time...)
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 12:04 AM on Jul. 3, 2013

• Jean, before you give up, try this. It's non abrasive and actually works to remove any rust or brown stains you may have. It's a powder, so sprinkle it in the bottom of the tub and add water. Let soak about an hour. It also works wonders on hard water stains.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 12:25 AM on Jul. 3, 2013

• I think you can get porcelain resurfacing kits at Lowe's or Home Depot. Might be time for that.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 12:04 AM on Jul. 3, 2013

• It just may be worn then. Bon Ami or Bar Keepers Friend would be my only other suggestions.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 12:05 AM on Jul. 3, 2013

• If the porcelain is gone nothing will work( I have tried everything) except resurfacing I have the same issue in my guest bath.
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 8:16 AM on Jul. 3, 2013

• Gah, I know it probably needs to be resurfaced. Does that ever actually work out?
    jeanclaudia

Comment by jeanclaudia (original poster) at 12:11 AM on Jul. 3, 2013

• We have this too due to hardwater. I try to remember to wipe the tub everytime we shower to try to keep it from getting any worse.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 2:42 PM on Jul. 3, 2013

• Thanks you guys for the advice. I'll see what I can do.
    jeanclaudia

Comment by jeanclaudia (original poster) at 3:16 PM on Jul. 4, 2013