Ok ladies, I need honest answers. How many of you heard of "white slavery"?

Today had to go to the library and was looking up info and to get proof that there was white slavery, or "indentured servitude" before black slavery came to be. The conversation in the class I was in for some damn reason got centered on the Zimmerman trial. (BTW the class is a debate class) So of course the racial profiling was entered into the debate, and why was it ok for blacks to call themselves "nigga" and whites can't blah blah blah.
One person spoke up and said.....
"Black people were not considered people just a few generations ago by law in America. Today, they have pretty well earned the right to call themselves anything they want to, don't you think? Don't even try to compare yourself to them; white people have never been held as slaves in America so you have no freaking idea what it is like..."
And I was astounded at that comment and was like.. "What?!? There were white slaves, or some may know it as indentured servitude" And oh hell that set off one hell of a argument. Hence the reason for my trip to the library, the professor wants things done old school style.
I couldn't believe how many of these people I was in class with had no idea about white slavery, and it existed before black slavery was introduced. And historians believe it may have been the model for the introduction of black slavery. Are our schools failing to mention this important info of history for some reason? In some cases, they were treated just as the black slaves were.
And when I went back to class today, I read out loud my findings.
As I was looking up all this info, even I was stunned at the way some of them were treated. Women especially. But when the owners beat them, or raped, or even killed, they would lose the money they invested, thats when black slavery was introduced.
All in all, there were some that didn't believe me even after I had the proof in black and white (no pun intended).

But I still fail to understand why all this race stuff is coming out, and in some cases getting violent. Do you think its because of the Zimmerman trial? Or something else?

Michigan-Mom74

Asked by Michigan-Mom74 at 12:44 AM on Jul. 3, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• Not 'before' black slavery, but as far back in history as there have been societies of any kind.

Slavery is one of the oldest, and most universal cultural idea in humanity. Pretty much the only human culture I've ever heard of NOT having slavery was the Inuit of Northern Canada because they really believed, for thousands of years, that they were the only people in the world.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 12:51 AM on Jul. 3, 2013

• My mothers parents were indentured servants. Even when slavery was abolished indentured servants were not freed.
    There were actually white slaves as well. Not so much in the US but in other countries most certainly.
    Freed black people sometimes bought and held slaves as well.

Oh yes it is just easier to ignore a great number of facts.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:52 AM on Jul. 3, 2013

• Ya I have heard of this. I heard that black slaves were richer than a lot of white people at one point in history. You'd have to look that up to verify. I do think this is left out of history books in school for a reason. The powers that be control the information. I think they also want a race war/riots so that they can declare martial law in America.
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 1:06 AM on Jul. 3, 2013

• "Black people were not considered people just a few generations ago by law in America. Today, they have pretty well earned the right to call themselves anything they want to, don't you think? Don't even try to compare yourself to them; white people have never been held as slaves in America so you have no freaking idea what it is like..."

Um, hello! Whoever said that was never held as a slave in America, either. If I ever met someone who had actually been a slave in this country, freed by Abraham Lincoln's order, I would get down on my knees and profusely beg forgiveness for sins that had been committed on *that person* generations before my great-grandparents were born. I know there have been terrible injustices since the Civil War, but the statement made in your class was beyond ridiculously stupid. That person has no more 'freaking idea' about being held in slavery in America than you do.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:38 AM on Jul. 3, 2013

• Slavery goes all the way back to the beginning of recorded history. Have your classmates never heard of "Spartacus?" Yep, slaves.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:39 AM on Jul. 3, 2013

• there is still white slavery and human trafficking. If anything white girls are especially sought after for slavery(mostly sex). It is still a huge problem across all races and even in the United states. There are many illegal immigrants that are held in indentured servitude to pay off the coyotes.

Like gdiamante it is one of the oldest practices that goes back to probably the beginning of civilization and most certaininly the beginning of recorded history.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 4:25 AM on Jul. 3, 2013

• your going to school with a bunch of teeny boppers who dont believe anything that hasnt been spoon fed to them thorough social media, mainstream news or school. Pretty much in that order.
    The schools are failing because they are being forced to teach to the test. So if it was mentioned at all it was indentured servitude.

They do not see the correlation because they were taught that servitude was working to pay off a debt. They do not understand that these people were in debt for (just a random number) $1000 and working at .50 a day. That these people also had food, clothing and shelter factored into the debt.

And what they said^^
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 8:46 AM on Jul. 3, 2013

• They really have no idea because it isn't taught in schools. If it is mentioned it isn't gone into in detail. They don't think it is the same thing because then they wouldn't be able to use the race card.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 9:40 AM on Jul. 3, 2013

• Really? I was in 11th grade US History a decade ago and we learned this information. What are they spending their time learning nowadays?
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 11:59 PM on Jul. 3, 2013