What would you do? (i was told i'm overreacting i just want your opinion)

ok, i volunteer at a church every weds. well since school got out i've had a friend's daughter watching the girls on weds. they are 11, 8 and 6 the friend is 22 and has a 2yo. well when i get home from church i see all four kids running back to our apartment. they are playing behind three other apartment buildings. the friend is in my apartment playing on the computer. i was steamed when i saw them across the street.
we live in the projects, now i don't want the kids over there because A: i can't see them from my windows. B: the cops are over across the street almost every day because someone is beating up someone else. C: i don't trust anyone here because there was a guy who lived over that that was a pedifhile. (he's not on the lease and the cops have escorted off him away twice since oct)
this isn't the first time she's let them go over there. i just told her i'll find a new sitter. now the friend is mad at me. she says i'm over reacting and to let her daughter keep watching them. i won't let them go over to the friends place because they do stuff over there i don't want around my kids. and they always do it when she's not home.
i just want to know, how would you act if this happened to you?

noel1978

Asked by noel1978 at 8:08 AM on Jul. 3, 2013 in General Parenting

• You're a good mom who cares about her kids. If your gut says don't leave them with the sitter then don't. If you have to question whether or not a sitter is good, then imo she is no good. There should never be a question in your mind that your kids are safe when you leave them with a sitter. Thats why I leave mine with my mother, I know they are 100% safe in her care. So no, you're not over reacting, you're being a responsible parent.
    AnonNdrag

Answer by AnonNdrag at 11:34 AM on Jul. 3, 2013

• A friend who neglects your kids and who thinks that it's no big deal is not a friend. Find a new sitter.
    goldpandora

Answer by goldpandora at 9:19 AM on Jul. 3, 2013

• I wouldn't leave my children with anyone who didn't watch them every minute. Especially not in a place where you know there are this many dangers.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:20 AM on Jul. 3, 2013

• ,Your children are the greatest gifts you'll ever receive. Knowing what you know, you should never allow her to sit for you again.
    What's sad, is she's allowing the 2 year old to run amuck as well!

PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 8:44 AM on Jul. 3, 2013

• You are not overreacting. Your children's safety has to come first. I agree with mompam to take them with you. I did this when my children were small.

Answer by Bmat at 8:44 AM on Jul. 3, 2013

• Can you bring them to the church? Is there a playroom or something like that? If I wasn't comfortable, I would not leave my kids.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 8:39 AM on Jul. 3, 2013

• No you are not overreacting I would be doing the same as you and no matter how much my friends tell me to give her another chance I would not do it. My kids are more important than the feelings of a friend. You said it yourself the place is dangerous I would not risk it again. good luck finding a new sitter.

Alisim

Answer by Alisim at 8:46 AM on Jul. 3, 2013

• Not overreacting. You are doing your job!
    Don't let her guilt trip you- find a new sitter
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:06 AM on Jul. 3, 2013

• You are not over reacting, I would do the same...

Answer by older at 9:19 AM on Jul. 3, 2013

• I agree with everyone else, you aren't overreacting.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 9:19 AM on Jul. 3, 2013