Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can a man ask for a financial support from his ex gf? they have a 7yr old son.

My step son had been with us for three months and since then, we never heard anything from his mom, can we justfile for a sole custody if the bio-mom doesn't want obligations?
Bio-mom was never married to my husband.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 9:30 AM on Jul. 3, 2013 in Relationships

Answers (13)
  • Yes.

    Answer by maecntpntz219 at 9:33 AM on Jul. 3, 2013

  • Of course.

    Answer by DonnaNoble at 9:36 AM on Jul. 3, 2013

  • thank you! we tried to contact the bio mom but our efforts have gone futile. my point is, if she can't support her son or if she simply doesn't want obligations - we deserve to know.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:40 AM on Jul. 3, 2013

  • Yep, if you have custody you can ask for child support. Have your husband call a lawyer.

    Answer by kmath at 9:47 AM on Jul. 3, 2013

  • call lawyer
    go to court
    if never married- court MAY make them take a DNA test
    is he 100% sure this is his child? would be very sad if court did make them take DNA test and child was not his

    when parents not married, pretty common to have a DNA test done

    father has taken care of child 100% and mother 0%
    custody will be easy- BUT, if mom shows in court she COULD ask for time and court MIGHT grant or give her chance to step up

    odd when a parent who does zero for child is asked to pay even a cent, they then want some time with the child

    good luck

    Answer by fiatpax at 10:08 AM on Jul. 3, 2013

  • Yes you can but I think she needs to be gone a lot longer with no contact before a judge will rule sole custody

    Answer by LostSoul88 at 10:15 AM on Jul. 3, 2013

  • If you have sole custody, then ,yes, you can file for child support against the Bio mother.

    Answer by Dardenella at 11:45 AM on Jul. 3, 2013

  • Even if you have joint custody, with dad having physical custody he can file for child support!! My mom had to pay my dad when we were younger.

    Answer by Crafty26 at 12:10 PM on Jul. 3, 2013

  • Moms can pay child support just like dads if the father's have primary custody.

    Answer by aeneva at 12:21 PM on Jul. 3, 2013

  • It is called abandonment, and can be filed in the courts, you mean your SS has no idea where his mother is, and hasn't heard from her? I find it really strange that a mother would just drop off the kid, and never come back, has anyone thought she might be missing, murdered or something?

    Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 12:56 PM on Jul. 3, 2013

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.