Non supportive husband..

I made quite a sale on pickles which is part of my dream come true. I've always wanted to own a café or restaurant but I haven't ran into one to buy yet. I got so excited I text my husband about how much I made so instead of cheering with me, he tells me "I hope you know what your doing." and while grocery shopping, he was telling me how I don't understand the process through it all and just basically it put me in a bad mood.

I don't know, now i'm sitting here wondering why I even bothered. I guess it only takes one person to rain on your dreams but he's always been this way when I get excited about things.

I guess I just need some support or some soul uplifting right now

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:52 AM on Jul. 3, 2013 in Relationships

• The food business is a 24 hour a day job. When you own your own business you NEVER have time off. Some people think you open the doors & they you sit back & the money rolls in. Not going to happen especially in this economy. So maybe he just thinks you aren't seeing the big picture. I speak from experience. My DH works 7 days a week until 6pm. No vacations. This is not the American dream anymore. Stick to selling your pickles without overhead & you'll be happier.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:05 AM on Jul. 3, 2013

• oh no I don't plan to start a biz in the home or anything lol. he was talking about canning pickles. it was just a little thing
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:12 AM on Jul. 3, 2013

• He should be your biggest cheer leader, but I know how you feel. My husband will ask all sorts of questions and look at all angles of a situation before just giving a simple, needed, compliment. Know that you are enjoying yourself and doing something you like and getting some rewards for it when they sell. You might also calmly tell your husband that you need him to encourage and support you, or at least not be discouraging when you are having fun with your interests.
    Owning a restaurant is an entirely different story and don't ever consider it unless you can stand to lose all the money you put up front for it. I am speaking from experience on that one! GL
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 10:28 AM on Jul. 3, 2013

• Lots of men don't believe compliments are necessary. Your best support will always come from the Woman In The Mirror.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:46 AM on Jul. 3, 2013

• Next time he does something like that- why don't you just ask him why he won't just allow you a few moments to bask in the happiness you created for yourself. He owes you that much.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 11:18 AM on Jul. 3, 2013

• Research and do what you wish it is your dream .
    by2013

Answer by by2013 at 11:23 AM on Jul. 3, 2013

• way to go Congrats on your pickle sales!!!  I have seen home-canned pickles selling at farmer market type stores and specialty stores for well over $7 a jar - so I do think you could have a good chance of making a success of selling home-canned pickles!  (In my family I have an Aunt that home cans pickles and it is quite a treat to get a jar of her pickles.  In fact some family members even fight over who gets the last pickle in the jar!)

Too bad your husband did not share your excitement or encourage you to follow your dreams!  

So this pea is for him and his attitude:  bad

MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 11:54 AM on Jul. 3, 2013

• Awesome on your pickeles sales. I guess I would need to know is he not supportive at all. If that's the case, then that doesn't sound like a good husband. Have you told him how you feel? How it makes you feel, is very important. Because I think he could be just cranky and not really feeling suppotive at that moment, that sometimes happens.
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 1:01 PM on Jul. 3, 2013

• Your husband sounds like a gloomy thinker, either that or just a downer kind of guy. I don't know him, but from what you say if he's always this way, you may have to find another cheerleader. Do you have your mom to celebrate your successes with, a sister, some best friends? Get excited with those who will be excited with you and for you.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:15 PM on Jul. 3, 2013

• shrugging

smiley745

Answer by smiley745 at 7:16 PM on Jul. 3, 2013