Question for MIL's out there!

Would you be offended if your son and daughter in law asked you and your husband to move into the house next door instead of living in the same house with them and their two young children?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:54 AM on Jul. 3, 2013 in Relationships

• no... I think it would give everyone their space and yet be close

*I am not a mother-in -law yet, but my daughter and ehr boyfriend just got an apartment so...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:57 AM on Jul. 3, 2013

• I'd be hurt, but I'd understand. It makes sense that a young family would prefer to be on their own. I'd be happy that I'd still be close to them.

Answer by Bmat at 10:06 AM on Jul. 3, 2013

• Why would you want to live in the same house? For starters, I like having my own space. I'm not a MIL yet, but I do have a 17 yr old daughter and am looking forward to being a grandmother in about 10 yrs or so:-) I'm sure I will want to spend as much time as possible with them, but will still want to have my own place to retreat to.

Also, I don't want to hear bedroom activities of my children and don't want them hearing mine. Just saying
    tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 10:06 AM on Jul. 3, 2013

• All valid points. Ones that I have brought up with DH. DH thinks it would crush them. I don't know.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:14 AM on Jul. 3, 2013

• DH thinks it would crush them.

Why? Because "crush" is a very strong word/ emotion.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 10:17 AM on Jul. 3, 2013

• I would not be offended!
    Actually, it would be a compliment that they would want me to live next door and close to my grandchildren.

However, I wouldn't't want to live that close to my children but if that were the scenario, then no offense at all. :)
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 10:17 AM on Jul. 3, 2013

• I would not want to live with my son and DIL unless absolutely the last resort..........and we have a great relationship! I could deal with an inlaw suite or apartment, but not sharing the same kitchen, etc. In your situation I would be thrilled to live next door. I think each needs his/her own personal space and privacy. I feel this is doubly important if young children are in the home. I know it works well for some, but it would be less than ideal for me/us. GL
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 10:21 AM on Jul. 3, 2013

• This makes me think of Everyone Loves Raymond

My MIL help destroy my marriage
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 10:22 AM on Jul. 3, 2013

• * I should add she help destroy it after living in the same house
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 10:24 AM on Jul. 3, 2013

• No, unless in your (general you) culture it's expected or something similar.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 10:27 AM on Jul. 3, 2013