Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

4 Bumps

Women how are you making it?

I'm living with my mom right now with my two year old son. I've been looking at 2 bedroom apartments, and sheesh, there expensive! There about 800-950 for a 2 bedroom in a decent area. I'm just wondering, how in the world am I going to make it with car note, insurance, phone bill, and all other bills on top of rent, and a toddler. I have a okay paying job, I just don't think I'm going to be able to afford all this on my own. In freaking out right now. How are you mothers making? Assuming you're doing it all on your own. I feel like going crazy right now.

My biggest fear is struggling. I don't get child support, but that's because my sons father is great. He never has a problem with staying with his son most of the time. He provides diapers, shoes, etc. I don't want to count on th government. I want nothing to do with welfare.

I need advice, tips, some courage, anything!

Answer Question

Asked by Mommy2bbyboy at 11:28 AM on Jul. 3, 2013 in General Parenting

Level 9 (275 Credits)
Answers (17)
  • Can you get a friend to move in w/ you to share expenses? Just b/c the daddy is buying necessities for your child, is he still providing exactly half of his care? If you consult w/ legal or family counsel on this, they can figure out what he'd owe based on what you both earn. Then decide if he's doing his fair share. And there's nothing wrong w/ getting a little help while you need it. If your child qualifies for WIC or foodstamps, then you should accept it for the child's sake. These are some very difficult times & you do what you have to do to get by. GL

    Answer by mrsmom110 at 11:35 AM on Jul. 3, 2013

  • What's more important? Your ego or food on the table? I see nothing wrong with assistance to help you first get off your feet. You can use it for a few months and then stop.

    Answer by LostSoul88 at 11:35 AM on Jul. 3, 2013

  • Cut as many expenses as you can. Write out a budget and itemize every single penny you spend to see where you can make cuts. And you should be getting child support regardless of how great the dad is

    Answer by silverthreads at 11:42 AM on Jul. 3, 2013

  • I get disability for each child plus I work PT. I get life line for my phone (its discounted due to having a disabled child in the house). I also am on the PIPP plan, percentage of income for gas an electric and I get food stamps which isn't much but if I run out of food at the end of the month then I go to the food pantry and the local community center has free lunches for kids during the summer. My 7 yr old also gets free diapers through a medical supply store (walmart doesn't carry her size) and her medical card pays for them.

    Answer by AnonNdrag at 11:42 AM on Jul. 3, 2013

  • If I were to get on assistant, what could I apply for?

    Comment by Mommy2bbyboy (original poster) at 11:42 AM on Jul. 3, 2013

  • ^^^Call you local county agency (Human Services) or United Way (211) to find out income requirements & what programs you qualify for. If you do seek Govt. assistance, they will probably insist that the father pay child support.

    Answer by mrsmom110 at 11:46 AM on Jul. 3, 2013

  • If your child is under 5 you can get wic, you can get food stamps, possibly metro or housing assistance, its metro where i live. Check with your local community center and Jobs and family services to get a full list of services that are available to you. red cross, catholic charities and associated charities are some in my area and you should have something similar in your area.

    Answer by AnonNdrag at 11:46 AM on Jul. 3, 2013

  • While you are living with your Mother are you able to save $800 to $1000 maybe more a month?

    If you can, save that for 6 months or more. You will than know you can make rent around that much.

    Cut out on some other expenses.

    Answer by virginiamama71 at 11:49 AM on Jul. 3, 2013

  • Also check out of you HEAP or PIPP in your area, its emergency heating and cooling assistance.

    Answer by AnonNdrag at 11:52 AM on Jul. 3, 2013

  • I couldn't do it off my income alone. A decent 2bd room apartment here is like $1200-$1500. Can you get a cheaper car? A prepaid cell phone? There are also other programs that aren't your average government welfare that may be able to help (though you also may make too much money). I won't lie though it does seem impossible. At one point we used our tax returns to pay off an entire 6 months lease so we could get caught up without going into debt.

    Answer by maecntpntz219 at 12:45 PM on Jul. 3, 2013

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in General Parenting

Next question overall (Relationships)
Question for MIL's out there!