How sad that this type of law would even be considered, let alone be passed

http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/02/world/asia/china-elderly-law/index.html

While I hate the thought of elderly people being dumped in nursing homes & forgotten, I don't think it's right to mandate the amount of time or money a child should spend on their aging parents. Considering the culture is geared toward respecting their elders, it doesn't surprise me, but what about the other aspect of that culture that places the burden on the one child they were allowed to have. Your thoughts?

mrsmom110

Asked by mrsmom110 at 11:42 AM on Jul. 3, 2013 in Relationships

• It is also sad that a govt has to tell you how many children they should be able to have. I see a lot of people in this country dumping their elderly parents in a home and basically forgetting about them which is also very sad. And yes, there are children out there who have very valid reasons not to want to take care of them.....

Answer by older at 11:52 AM on Jul. 3, 2013

• I think it is sad they have to pass this kind of law but I also think it isn't a law that should be put in place anywhere. No kid should be forced to take care of their parents. They have their own financial burdens and making a LAW that adds to them is total crap. Should they try to help out when they can, of course, but they shouldn't be forced to. Not everyone should be forced to be around the people who birthed them.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 11:54 AM on Jul. 3, 2013

• I cringe at the thought of something like that happening in the States.
    The people on my Birth Certificate- I wouldnt spit on them if they were on fire

The law is failing to recognize that there may be additional underlying reasons (beyond time, money and location) why a person is not visiting or otherwise supporting the elderly in their lives...
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 11:48 AM on Jul. 3, 2013

• I was brought up to believe in the unity of family and it being the only ones there for us in bad times and good, i taught my children the same thing, and now that they are adults I see the fruits of my labor, my three adults kids are there for each other every time...and it gives me peace of mind that once I leave this earth they will have each other.
    I take care of my 94 year old mom, she is a difficult woman, it is not easy, but I would not have it any other way. If I were to ever put her in a home it would be the same as killing her, she would die of heartache.....we take care of our own, and by we I mean the Cuban culture.

Answer by older at 11:57 AM on Jul. 3, 2013

• So what about the parents who haven't treated their children right? I'd send my mom and dad money if they were in need; they're my parents, I would feel somewhat obligated. But spending time with them wouldn't be good for any of us, and it wouldn't even be an option for me because I refuse to pin a target to my heart and willingly march up before a firing squad. So if we had a law like that here, I'd have to break it.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:31 PM on Jul. 3, 2013

• how can you not have a heart for your parents...

Because they ripped it out and stomped it into the dirt a long time ago, and I don't care to let them do it again.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 7:33 PM on Jul. 3, 2013

• My mom is 67 and my step dad is 70 and they still take care of me lol
    My step Dad is fixing the breaks on my van so I can sell it then I am buying their old van off of them. My mom babysits so I can go to work and she often gives me food from her garden. If they got so old that they needed a nursing home, we have made plans that I will move in with them to care for them. My older sister is a respiratory therapist and she will help out, and I am a state tested nurses aide. I also go to my grandmothers twice a week to bathe her and clean for her. My mom takes care of my grandparents financial matters and my step dad takes care of their repairs. We have a strong family unit and everyone chips in when needed. It's dad when adult kids don't have the time for their parents because of work and their own families, and while I can understand their pressures, I could never imagine not being in my parents lives.
    AnonNdrag

Answer by AnonNdrag at 11:57 AM on Jul. 3, 2013

• My bio-father also worked as a nurse aide with my until he passed away and we were best buds. I never went a day without seeing or speaking to at least one of my parents. It's hard without my dad but I love the memories that I have with him and his being gone makes me want to spend that much time with my mom and step dad.
    AnonNdrag

Answer by AnonNdrag at 11:58 AM on Jul. 3, 2013

• I saw something on the flip side of this, where the "one child" law proved devastating when that one child was no longer living. Pensions are like ZERO over there. An aging couple simply can not live on their retirement alone. It is a very big part of their culture that you provide for your parents as they age, and when the child they assumed would care for them is no longer living, the parents can literally fall destitute, become homeless, etc. There are no other siblings to help. There are not a lot of retirement communities and social services for the elderly because it is assumed your offspring will handle everything.
    I suppose as China is becoming more Americanized these traditions will fall to the wayside, but then government needs to do something to keep up!
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 12:21 PM on Jul. 3, 2013

^^ I wonder about the same thing. If my dickbag father doesn't drink himself to death before he ends up in a nursing home, it will have to be his bitch wife that finds him a place to take care of him. I don't want to deal with him to even take the effort to dump him in a home.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:48 PM on Jul. 3, 2013