How can I soothe my toddler's throat?

We found out yesterday that our 2 year old has strep throat. I've got him on antibiotics, and rotating Tylenol & motrin. My problem is, he hates ice cream & popsicles... Does anyone know of any ways to soothe his throat? I'm so tired of hearing him cry when he drinks, it breaks my heart!!

TIA

molly_beth13

Asked by molly_beth13 at 1:24 PM on Jul. 3, 2013 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Get some Chloraseptic to numb it.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:25 PM on Jul. 3, 2013

• how about a sucker? The sugar water (syrup) coats the throat.
    I would go with the chloraseptic too but I hate trying to pry a screaming child's mouth open lol.
    Unless they have changed it. It tastes foul.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:29 PM on Jul. 3, 2013

• hugsSorry to hear that. It's rough when our little ones get sick. He hates popsicles and ice cream? Is it because it is too cold? You can try Jello or pudding. Put them in the fridge first so they are cold. You could also try warm tea with honey. I would go with a decaf tea for a 2 yr old. And try to get him to drink as much water as you can.

tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 1:32 PM on Jul. 3, 2013

• little remedies makes a honey elixir that is for sore throat
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 1:40 PM on Jul. 3, 2013

• Would he take a spoonful of warm melted butter and honey? The butter coats the throat, and the honey soothes it. And it doesn't taste too bad, just kind of warm and sweet.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:35 PM on Jul. 3, 2013

• Thanks, the chloraseptic causes WWIII to break out in here, he refuses to take it. I'll try some suckers, we have plenty from a parade.
    I also tried warm tea with honey... He freaked out because it wasn't cold lol
    molly_beth13

Comment by molly_beth13 (original poster) at 1:33 PM on Jul. 3, 2013

• He can drink the honey tea cold too. The honey is the good part. Also marshmallows help ease a sore throat. Obviously don't give him a big one, but you can cut them up so they are are manageable.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 4:44 PM on Jul. 3, 2013

• they make sucker cough drops, that don't taste too bad! You can also give him a milk shake or chocolate milk before he eats, milk coats the throat a bit.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 5:21 PM on Jul. 3, 2013

• the spray would be the best thing considering your situation. good luck!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 1:29 PM on Jul. 5, 2013