Why can't more schools take this approach (now with less trolly goodness)

School football team crosses the line in making non-Christian students feel isolated or excluded, and when a complaint is filed, instead of having a tantrum, the adult responsible says that yes, it's gotten out of hand, no it was never his intent to make anyone on the team(s) feel singled out, and that it won't be happening anymore.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highschool-prep-rally/school-bans-tebowing-style-postgame-prayer-following-aclu-094513987.html

Ultimately, isn't the point of a team supposed to be teaching EVERYONE to work together, not just a likeminded subgroup?  Seems a lot of the schools that choose to fight instead of acknowledge the pain they cause have missed that part of teamwork.

(I will continue to close and repost every time this question is derailed by hate speech)

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 2:06 PM on Jul. 3, 2013 in Religious Debate

• Good for you NP! I think that they did the right thing by complaining and stopping it, prayer can be done individually and is not to be imposed by others.....I will be good unless provoked !lol!

Answer by older at 2:13 PM on Jul. 3, 2013

• It is amazing that a school actually admitted they were wrong and did the right thing. No one is telling the kids not to pray, they just don't need to make a production out of it.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 2:15 PM on Jul. 3, 2013

• Team work implies working together-not excluding or working as an individual.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 2:16 PM on Jul. 3, 2013

• Prayer is free for everyone anywhere they want. Their parents pay taxes to keep the school open so they can do what they want as long as it is in the school policy and not hurting anyone. Hopefully I won't receive hate messages for disagreeing.
    ptomom678

Answer by ptomom678 at 2:17 PM on Jul. 3, 2013

• I never understand this need to publicly display something that would usually be an intimate moment between yourself and your god. And it baffles me even more that prayer is so needed at a sports game.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 2:19 PM on Jul. 3, 2013

• Paying taxes has zero to do with something that people are free to do-amongst themselves. Showboating is the farthest thing from actual prayer. That is simply someone using their god to meet their attention whore quota.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 2:22 PM on Jul. 3, 2013

• It is a violation of separation of church and state that was filed by the American Civil Liberties Union. They got to abide....

Answer by older at 2:22 PM on Jul. 3, 2013

• I think the individuals can give thanks or celebrate in any way they want. I think the coaches can do the same. They can join in groups if that is their. But it should not be a formal ritual that this is what this team does. That is unless every single one has expressed the desire to do so, without being asked or put on the spot. This is think is unlikely.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:23 PM on Jul. 3, 2013

• “When it comes to discipline, whatever you allow, you encourage,” he said. “By me being present, I was encouraging it. This happened because of me and I had to wake up.” -Loria

I wish more people especially in leadership positions would own up to their mistakes. It's admirable to see someone take full responsibility for his/her actions or lack of action.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 2:25 PM on Jul. 3, 2013

• It's admirable to see someone take full responsibility for his/her actions or lack of action.

What impressed me the most was that he could see how it was isolating other kids instead of spouting the usual "free country, nobody forced them to join in".
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 2:29 PM on Jul. 3, 2013