My newborn poops a lot! Is this normal?

My baby is two and a half weeks. She poops on average 8-10 times a day. Every single time I change her diaper it has poop in it. It's a normal color and everything, but I'm just concerned. It seems like a lot, but I'm not sure what "normal" is.

CaylaLU

Asked by CaylaLU at 11:07 AM on Feb. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's normal. Just wait, all of a sudden she'll poop once a day to once every two days, and then you'll be worried about that lol.
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 11:09 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• It is normal. My first baby didn't poop
    so much, but my second baby did.
    The poops will gradually lessen.
    But what can you do about a
    baby pooping?
    bronxcouture

Answer by bronxcouture at 11:14 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• its normal hon.. also, get the book baby411 it has a whole chapter on poop... cause it does change.. so keep this in mind when she is about 6 weeks and suddenly stops pooping... she might go maybe every 3 days, to every 7, and that is normal, my doctor said if our son went 8 days to call... but he has never gone more than 3 days, and now that he is on solids, he's a once a day kinda guy... so when she hits about 5-7 weeks and then suddenly changes... its ok and not to worry.... you will see a lot of moms worry and start thinking that its constipation, and some dont even know the true definition of that... but get that book and that will answer about 90% of your questions... clear up until she is a year old.. my bf read i as well and he is a far more educated father... i love it!!
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 11:21 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• That amount of poop sounds just right. If your breastfeeding it really makes since.
    Julia63718

Answer by Julia63718 at 12:35 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• omg yeah
    britme1027

Answer by britme1027 at 12:39 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• kids poop. it happens. no reason to assume the worst. And sometimes kids don't poop much. It happens. No reason to assume the worst. :)
    Anonymous

• my son pooped after or during EVERY feeding at first (he was formula fed) then around 8-10 weeks he started going down to about 1-2 times a day and it changed....it got more solid and harder for him to pass (he strained at first) now hes 9 months and hes sorta on a schedule with it.... generally two times a day... every day.... sometimes, but rarely its only once, and some days its more than twice but he doesn't vary much from the 2 times a day
    calvinsmommy18

Answer by calvinsmommy18 at 1:46 AM on Feb. 19, 2009