Getting a breastfed baby to take a bottle

I'm a formula feeding mom personally but I have a cousin and a few friends who are having issues getting their baby to take a bottle.
I was just wondering how you get the baby to take the bottle especially part time while mom's at work?
Any suggestions for women who are weaning to formula after several months of breastfeeding?

I'm asking this for someone else. No I really don't know the reasons why and I'm not going to ask so no need for a lecture or breastfeeding advice just a how -to question.

lizziebreath

Asked by lizziebreath at 6:18 PM on Jul. 3, 2013 in General Parenting

• I haven't done it personally since I had no need for a bottle, but I fed my friend's baby with the coolest bottles that mimic the breast. They are these:  http://thefirstyears.com/breastflow  I was actually really impressed because the bottles position the baby's mouth the same way they nurse.  The nipples are sort of a bitch to clean, but I can see how breastfed babies could go back and forth without problems.

JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 6:24 PM on Jul. 3, 2013

• I nursed and also supplemented with formula, and my baby went back and forth between the breast and bottle seamlessly. The best bottles I found were Dr. Brown's. It really depends on how old the babies ar now. My lactation consultant told me that in spite of all you hear about nipple confusion, if introduced to both early on, most babies will go back and forth, at least till they get old enough to be mobile, when some will then figure out that the bottle takes less time and effot and stop nursing. Which was what mine did at about ten months old.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:56 PM on Jul. 3, 2013

• I went to the store and picked out the bottle whose nipple looked most like mine.

You can google tips all day long though

don't have mom offer the bottle - she should be out of the house when it happens
    don't force it
    offer when slightly hungry but not upset
    warm it to room temperature
    they are supposed to drink it slow- should take as long as a nursing session
    burp often
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 7:00 PM on Jul. 3, 2013

• my baby won't take a bottle, doesn't really matter though because we're never apart. I tried though. Pumped and bought bottles and have a freezer stash.

Depending on age baby might prefer a cup.

you can also spoon feed or use 1a
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 7:01 PM on Jul. 3, 2013

• a needless syringe
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 7:02 PM on Jul. 3, 2013

• Our doctor said if babe was 4 months old we could do sippy cups with help instead of a bottle. Also make sure it isn't mom offereing the bottle and mom is nowhere around.
    Anonymous

• My youngest 2 switched back and forth fine but my oldest 3 wouldn't ever take a bottle no matter how hard I tried. Good luck!

Answer by missanc at 8:29 PM on Jul. 3, 2013

• None of mine would ever take a bottle. I was able to be home and EBF, so there was never really a need. Depending on the age of the child, a sippy cup or something along that line might be a better fit. Good luck!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 7:50 PM on Jul. 7, 2013

• My cousin's baby is 8 months old so a cup is an option for him but my sister's baby is 1 month old so a cup won't work for her.
    lizziebreath

Comment by lizziebreath (original poster) at 4:29 PM on Jul. 8, 2013