We had a Dr appt today for my 6 yr old. What do you think?

She ate almost a whole pineapple over the course of a 3 days, plus some oranges, etc.

Yesterday she wakes up with sores in the corner of her mouth; they were more cracked like areas. I took her in to see her pedi today, but he was out so we saw a new doctor in his practice. She said its from the pineapple (consuming too much acidic fruit). She said to put Vaseline on it and she can't have any citrus until its healed.

Also, the inside of her nose is inflamed so she wanted was thinking she may have a fruit allergy. She wanted to make us an appt with an allergist right away, but decided to try prescription allergy medicine first.

I'm like okay. But then she tells me that she shouldn't have more than 2 servings of fruit per day because of sugar.

So here are my questions:

Can food allergies cause inflamed noses, watery eyes, and sneezing?
How many servings of fruit do your kids eat per day and how many should they of just fruit at her age? I'm seriously thinking that 2 servings isn't enough.

PandaGwen

Asked by PandaGwen at 6:34 PM on Jul. 3, 2013 in Kids' Health

• I don't know about fruit allergies exactly, but whenever I ate plums when I was a kid, I had a similar reaction and a rash. It got especially bad when I was also in the sun after eating plums. At some point, I outgrew it and I have no trouble eating plums now.

My kids might eat one or two servings of fruit a day. My older son gets a glass of orange juice to flush out his meds each night, but other than that, I won't give them juice, and if they have an apple and orange or pears, that's plenty. I try to push more vegetables than fruit. I agree about the amount of sugar, and also about the acid in some fruits. I had refluxers, so the acid was a concern for me.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 6:39 PM on Jul. 3, 2013

• yes, allergies can cause those things.

My 6 year old can eat as much fruit as she wants. We have a variety of fruit, not just citrus, to choose from. I don't think that 2 servings is enough either.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 6:40 PM on Jul. 3, 2013

• well I'm not sure about the first question, but there is a lot of sugar in fruit so... it's good for you -but not in large amounts
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 6:40 PM on Jul. 3, 2013

• inflamed noses, watery eyes, and sneezing - all allergy symptoms

Fruit has a high sugar content... so yeah 2 serving is enough if she is having issues with it. Veggies are the "free" food... not fruit. She can have as much veggies as she wants instead!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 6:49 PM on Jul. 3, 2013

• Pineapple gives me those mouth crac sore thingies, but I've never gotten the nasal symptoms or watery eyes from it.

My daughter would eat fruit all day long if I let her, so I actually have to put limits on it, especially strawberries, so she doesn't give herself serious tummy aches. I don't give her juice because of the sugar content, and because she doesn't like it, but I've never worried about whole fruit except when she wants a pint of strawberries at once.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:50 PM on Jul. 3, 2013

• Vtiamin C, it can cause sores, and everythng you described. I am not agreeing with the part about only 2 servings of fruit a day, would she rather you give her candy etc. for a snack? Plums, kiwis, cherry, apple, all good snacks that are not as caustic as citrus.

2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 7:37 PM on Jul. 3, 2013

• Pineapple, especially raw, has always been a problem for me. I get those sores around the edge of my mouth from it, and my stomach complains, too. Cooked, it's not a problem, as long as I don't eat it in volume.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:17 PM on Jul. 3, 2013

• Yes to the allergy symptoms, those and more including hives , rashes, shortness of breath, palpating heart..........
    My kids would normally have a small glass of juice in the morning and a none citrus in the evening.
    I would suggest that she not eat tomatoes until her symptoms clear up also.
    Pineapple is also trick if it is fresh because the eyes and the center core contains a substance that irritates the tissues. I can't think ATM
    If she ate too close to the core she may only be irritated. Still too much of anything is generally frowned on.
    BTW she may also have acidic urine which is not fun at all.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 10:06 PM on Jul. 3, 2013

• Citrus fruit can really bother children. Even if you don't want to allergy test, keep in mind the MD has experience new or not, so as far as fruit goes, cut back on servings. Or be careful about serving size and no citrus. Add veggies.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 12:21 AM on Jul. 4, 2013