Sewing people. I bought a nightgown with lace around the neck.Itchy!

I didn't notice the itch when I tried it on. Anyway, should I cut off the lace? Won't it still be itchy even if I cut it close to the seam?

Suggestions?

jeanclaudia

Asked by jeanclaudia at 7:44 PM on Jul. 3, 2013 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Try washing it if you haven't already. Sometimes that softens the lace. There are several ways the lace can be attached, so look at it closely and see which stitches hold the lace in place. Sometimes they are separate and solely for the lace, but sometimes they hold down the seam too. If they hold down only the lace you can carefully snip the stitches and remove the lace without affecting anything else. But if removing the stitches would cause seams or other sections to fall apart, you can snip the lace very close to the stitches and then pull the rest of the lace away from those stitches. This leaves everything as it was except you have pulled the lace away. Hope this makes sense.  Feel free to ask more detailed questions in a message me.  GL!

silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 8:05 PM on Jul. 3, 2013

• ^^That thing. They're talking about that thing. It's called a seam ripper and you can get it at Hobby Lobby/Jo-Anns/Craft Mart.

Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 7:55 PM on Jul. 3, 2013

• I'd rip out the seam. There's a sharp little tool in most hand sewing kits that makes it easy. It might even be more itchy if you cut off most of the lace but leave the shreds of it next to the seam.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 7:51 PM on Jul. 3, 2013

• Can you take it off at the seam? If you cut close it may work but most likely the left over lace will still cause you to be itchy. By "ripping" the seam and removing the lace you get all of it off.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 7:47 PM on Jul. 3, 2013

• Okay, that's kinda what I thought. I'll have to look to see if I can rip it off. : ) Thanks!
    jeanclaudia

Comment by jeanclaudia (original poster) at 7:54 PM on Jul. 3, 2013

• I would do like others suggest and use a seam ripper. They're super cheap, found around the quilting section of the stores Rosehawk listed.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 8:03 PM on Jul. 3, 2013

• For that and labels I use a tread ripper very carefully
    by2013

Answer by by2013 at 9:29 PM on Jul. 3, 2013

• I would take it off completely. My guess is that the lace is a poly and if you cut it , each of those tiny edges will poke you and hurt.
    If you remove the lace there s the chance that the lace and th finishing seam are the same and you will end up with a raw cut edge instead. Do you sew at all?
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 9:57 PM on Jul. 3, 2013

• Upon further inspection, I think Dardenella describes what I've got. So THAT is why the Ralph Lauren nightie was cheap at Nordstrom Rack. Hmmmm. No, I don't sew one bit but I can take it to the cleaners or a local seamstress but that defeats the purpose of my cheap buy. Oh well.
    jeanclaudia

Comment by jeanclaudia (original poster) at 12:00 AM on Jul. 4, 2013

• You can do it if you have a small scissors like a manicure scissors, etc. Just take your time and go slow. You should be able to see if the lace has it's own stitiches or not.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 4:51 AM on Jul. 4, 2013