If abortion were illegal...

...what should happen to the women who have a abortions?

I hate that I can't post video here, but this link has a pretty good video where someone was asking pro-life protesters what they think the punishment should be, if it were made illegal. It's worth a view, IMO ;)

Posting this here because I see it more as a religious issue than a political one - it (the pro-life debate) is a religious campaign in the political realm, IMO.

bandgeek521

Asked by bandgeek521 at 8:12 PM on Jul. 3, 2013 in Religious Debate

• I guess the punishment merits the "crime" so to speak, I first of all want to say that I am pro-choice,
    1st offense, offer of free birth control, and a donation of 4 hours working at a homeless/battered women shelter
    2nd offense, offer free tubal ligation, and 100 hours battered women/shelter
    3rd offense, mandatory tubal ligation, 9 months in solitary.
    Now, I am just saying what I would do if it was illegal, I think that a woman's choice is her option, but people who use abortion as birth control make me ill.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 8:31 PM on Jul. 3, 2013

• So not only do they not understand the law, but they lost ground on their whole argument.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 8:33 PM on Jul. 3, 2013

• Thy should be offered counseling and bc and avenues to obtain bc. As well as services to help should they get raped and wind up pg again.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 8:36 PM on Jul. 3, 2013

• I just watched the entire thing, and it amazes me that you can be against something, that you don't even know what you want the end result to be!
    I don't think it will ever come to this (fingers crossed)
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 8:38 PM on Jul. 3, 2013

• Oh, haha - I wasn't seriously asking. I personally don't think abortion should be outlawed - I think we ought to work to cut down on the need for it by education, prevention, and so forth.I just thought it was funny that many pro-lifers (and I am pro-life, but I'm also pro-mother's life and not just pro-fetus and don't want women killing themselves while we work to find or implement ways to better prevent unwanted pregnancy) can't even answer as to what the alternative or punishment should be when they're the ones trying to make it illegal. Some of you came up with much better than they did, though!
    bandgeek521

Comment by bandgeek521 (original poster) at 8:42 PM on Jul. 3, 2013

• I agree with 2kids answer. Even without the choice of abortion women have a choice, they can choose to take all necessary steps to avoid a pregnancy.

And my stance on abortion isn't a religious one, I have been pro-life since before I was anywhere near religious. The overwhelming majority of abortions are not done out of either medical necessity for the mother or rape/incest but just as a form of "birth control".
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 9:24 PM on Jul. 3, 2013

• I would suppose if it were an illegal act and you were caught you would go to jail and I would assume the person how aided in giving you the abortion would as well. More than likely it would be like anything else that is illegal, it would be done "under the table" or people would go to a foreign country
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 9:46 PM on Jul. 3, 2013

• Abortion as birth control bothers me, but in this age of easily available contraception and abundant sex education, it must not bother millions because it is still a common practice. I like the ideas about free birth control and community service at women's shelters, but as much as I wish women would make wise choces *before* they get pregnant, I can't go along with mandatory tubal ligation. A free society cannot practice forced sterilization on its citizens.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:44 PM on Jul. 3, 2013

• How can you stand out there and not have an answer to this question? WOW!!!!!! I'm not a fan of abortion as birth control but I believe circumstances exist that merit an abortion. What should happen to the women? Nothing. It's their choice---without going into the timing, religious and human rights aspect of this. Gah. Such a mess.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 12:12 AM on Jul. 4, 2013

• Accessory to murder
    child abuse
    child endangerment
    murder( you signed the papers)
    RobinChristine

Answer by RobinChristine at 6:16 AM on Jul. 4, 2013