Do all parents have to go to prek orientation?

i'm so sad and upset i never got to see when my son's preschool sent me a letter saying there would be an orientation and i didn't see it till 3 wks later...please calm me down and tell me that it was ok that i missed it...i'm destroyed because i was so happy to attend. and now missed it...so do all parents go to these orientations? it also says that the month before school starts they will send follow up information including class assignments and proper drop off and pick up procedures...i'm so sad because he would've got to meet his classmates early and i could've met parents as well, now i feel like a bad mom, i just want to pull my hair out!!! i cried and everything :(

shanita_xo

Asked by shanita_xo at 11:30 PM on Jul. 3, 2013 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Oh my... you are going to have a rough 14 or so years ahead of you if you are this up set over a pre-k pre-event. No, not all parents have to go. They didn't have any type of orientation at my kids pre-school. It's really just not that big of a deal!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 11:33 PM on Jul. 3, 2013

• It happens but it's nothing to get upset over. You and him will have all the time he is in prek to meet and make friends.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 11:34 PM on Jul. 3, 2013

• Wow.

We skipped all but the pre-K visit. It's where we confirmed what I already knew: it was going to be a lovely room for the 3yo with us, but the 5yo either had all the same toys and books, or had already outgrown them ;)
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:34 PM on Jul. 3, 2013

• Thanks guys...it calms me down a bunch...i'm just a first mom that was so excited about it and talked about it to my husband almost every day and was bummed when i read it today! Should i call them anyway and let them know i didn't see the letter till now??
    shanita_xo

Comment by shanita_xo (original poster) at 11:40 PM on Jul. 3, 2013

• Should i call them anyway and let them know i didn't see the letter till now??
    Why?

They'll poo poo you and tell you to relax and that lots of parents miss it. On a positive note, you cared. Some parents are too self absorbed to even get excited.

Let it go. In the grand scheme of things this is really nothing to worry about.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 11:44 PM on Jul. 3, 2013

• You'll be fine. Just go in at the end of the day and meet the teacher, ad let your son show you the newroom. He'll love it. I know how you feel because I felt like a total flop when my SO didn't tell me about the huge sign-up poster for parent teacher conferences in pre-K, and I missed them. But it really is no biggie.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:52 PM on Jul. 3, 2013

• No worries Mama. Go to the next activity they set up and ask to do a walk through and meet the teachers and see the kindergarten setup. Meet the teachers, etc. If you didn't receive the notice, why was it? You may want to make sure you get future information from the school. It'll be totally fine. Go early on the first day!
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 12:16 AM on Jul. 4, 2013

• Don't worry about it. It's optional, not mandatory. And the only bad mom is the one who beats her baby.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:44 PM on Jul. 4, 2013