E coli?

I just got word from a friend, who saw it on the local news channel, and then I lookd up this notice for my city:

The Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment has issued a boil water advisory for (my city) residents due to the presence of total coliform and E. coli bacteria.

Residents should not drink tap water without boiling it first.

Residents should bring all water to a boil, let it boil for three (3) minutes, and let it cool before using, or use bottled water. Boiled or bottled water should be used for drinking, making ice, brushing teeth, washing dishes and preparing food until further notice. Boiling kills bacteria and other organisms in the water.

E. coli are bacteria whose presence indicates the water may be contaminated with human or animal wastes. Microbes in these wastes can cause short-term effects, such as diarrhea, cramps, nausea, headaches or other symptoms. They may pose a special health risk for infants, young children, some of the elderly and people with severely compromised immune systems.

If residents experience any of the symptoms described above and they persist, they may want to seek medical advice from their health care provider.

General guidelines on ways to lessen the risk of infection by microbes are available from the EPA Safe Drinking Water Hotline at 1-800-426-4791 .

Okay, so I've been drinking the water all day. My daughter is elsewhere for the night, so that's fine, but how much would it take to get sick? How will I know? How long could this last? What about a fridge filter, would that get rid ofE coli?

I know you all aren't experts, but I thought maybe some of you had been through this.

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 11:33 PM on Jul. 3, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• Depending on your immune status, and how robust your digestion is (including how much e.coli is in your normal diet --this is a modern problem that peoples of the past had much less of because it was bacteria they were used to :D) it's either far too late to worry about it, or it's not going to be a problem.

The water filter will not get rid of e.coli.

You must boil your water for FIVE MINUTES. Start now. Don't stop until you're told it's safe to do so.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:37 PM on Jul. 3, 2013

• Gosh I hope you are safe.
    I do not know the answer but I would boil their water just to be safe.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:53 PM on Jul. 3, 2013

• I had e Coli when I was 4. I was hospitalized for 3 months. Had dialysis and 3 blood transfusions and both my kidneys went into complete failure. I had surgery and lost 11 lbs. Had to re learn how to walk.

A fridge filter does nothing for e Coli.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 11:54 PM on Jul. 3, 2013

• so i double checked and yea- if you got it youll know. there wont be any question

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 11:36 PM on Jul. 3, 2013

• What contaminated the water? Well I guess I should say, how did the water get contaminated?
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 1:00 AM on Jul. 4, 2013

• Jeez. I'm sure you'll know if you've ingested more than your system could handle. Glad your daughter just happened to be away!
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 11:45 PM on Jul. 3, 2013

• That's horrible! They have to find a better way of alerting the residents about things like that. I hope you & your pets are all OK.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:14 AM on Jul. 4, 2013

• Ugh, my husband is in CO Springs, and he's been having a nasty stomach thing going on the last couple days. I wonder if this could be the cause. I'm trying to get a hold of him now.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 1:31 PM on Jul. 4, 2013

• What about pets? Can dogs, cats, and birds drink the water?
    Ballad

Comment by Ballad (original poster) at 11:47 PM on Jul. 3, 2013

• I hope your husband gets better soon, Hope. But as far as I know, the contamination hasn't gone that far. I live a couple of hours north of there.
    Ballad

Comment by Ballad (original poster) at 3:08 PM on Jul. 4, 2013