I have a car seat how long can you keep it for it is a 2005/2/15 could. Someone please tell me if I can. Still us it?

Rhondalynn777

Asked by Rhondalynn777 at 11:46 PM on Jul. 3, 2013 in Toddlers (1-2)

• http://askville.amazon.com/car-seats-expire-years-date-printed/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=1212189

The rule of thumb, if no expiration date is given on the seat, is that car seats expire six years from the date of manufacture.

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 11:49 PM on Jul. 3, 2013

• The best way is to take it to you local police station and ask them to tell you/ check it for safety and they might even help you install it correctly.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:50 PM on Jul. 3, 2013

• NO
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:01 AM on Jul. 4, 2013

• It sounds like it expired in 2011. So, no.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 12:04 AM on Jul. 4, 2013

• I don't get how they calculate expiration dates on child car seats. We don't change out the seat belts in our vehicles every 5 or 6 years.
    borichfan

Answer by borichfan at 7:00 AM on Jul. 4, 2013

• ^^^borichfan, the plastic that the seat is made of deteriorates & becomes brittle over the years. Especially with the changes in temperature in a car on a yearly basis. It can develop cracks under the foam padding.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:22 AM on Jul. 4, 2013

• If there is no expiration date the rule is 6 years from date of manufacture (the date you gave) so it expired in 2011. Many people continue to use them, but I would not recommend it. As a plastics engineer I will say that the plastic degrades especially in the temps that a car experiences on the inside. Seat belts are not plastic and do not degrade like the plastic in the seat.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:53 AM on Jul. 5, 2013

• Honestly, I know that most would think it's a big no-no but I used a seat that I'm pretty sure expired. I didn't partially care for it, it was in my ex husbands car at the time, he hardly picked him up so it was just in case. I would say that if it's going to be the regular seat, don't do it, go out and get a new one. Your childs safetly is the most important thing.
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 1:12 PM on Jul. 5, 2013

• No. It's out of date. Car seats are pretty inexpensive. You can get a Cosco Scenera for about $40 at Walmart. It's a great converter seat. Good luck. :)
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 1:42 AM on Jul. 6, 2013