I have a car seat how long can you keep it for it is a 2005/2/15 could. Someone please tell me if I can. Still us it?

Asked by Rhondalynn777 at 11:46 PM on Jul. 3, 2013 in Toddlers (1-2)

The rule of thumb, if no expiration date is given on the seat, is that car seats expire six years from the date of manufacture.

Answer by Crafty26 at 11:49 PM on Jul. 3, 2013

• The best way is to take it to you local police station and ask them to tell you/ check it for safety and they might even help you install it correctly.

Answer by Dardenella at 11:50 PM on Jul. 3, 2013

• NO

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:01 AM on Jul. 4, 2013

• It sounds like it expired in 2011. So, no.

Answer by Ginger0104 at 12:04 AM on Jul. 4, 2013

• I don't get how they calculate expiration dates on child car seats. We don't change out the seat belts in our vehicles every 5 or 6 years.

Answer by borichfan at 7:00 AM on Jul. 4, 2013

• ^^^borichfan, the plastic that the seat is made of deteriorates & becomes brittle over the years. Especially with the changes in temperature in a car on a yearly basis. It can develop cracks under the foam padding.

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:22 AM on Jul. 4, 2013

• If there is no expiration date the rule is 6 years from date of manufacture (the date you gave) so it expired in 2011. Many people continue to use them, but I would not recommend it. As a plastics engineer I will say that the plastic degrades especially in the temps that a car experiences on the inside. Seat belts are not plastic and do not degrade like the plastic in the seat.

Answer by Anonymous at 8:53 AM on Jul. 5, 2013

• Honestly, I know that most would think it's a big no-no but I used a seat that I'm pretty sure expired. I didn't partially care for it, it was in my ex husbands car at the time, he hardly picked him up so it was just in case. I would say that if it's going to be the regular seat, don't do it, go out and get a new one. Your childs safetly is the most important thing.

Answer by Sillylins at 1:12 PM on Jul. 5, 2013

• No. It's out of date. Car seats are pretty inexpensive. You can get a Cosco Scenera for about $40 at Walmart. It's a great converter seat. Good luck. :)

Answer by doodlebopfan at 1:42 AM on Jul. 6, 2013