Does/Has anyone been employed as a CNA or LPN?

What did you think about it? Is it as bad as the thoughts I have floating around in my head? Thanks in advance.

Loryl

Asked by Loryl at 11:10 AM on Feb. 18, 2009 in Money & Work

• i was an L.N.A and i loved my duties. but depends on were u are and what your doing. me i was at elderly houseing and some peopel couldnt deal with diarria or how sad it can be. and its hard but i loved it. they would talk to me and tell me about there kids husbands wifes animals. and seeing you walk in and they smile its a great feeling. i do so much in one night but always made time to chat. and when my youngest is in school all day i will be going back.
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 11:16 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I worked as a nursing assistant in a care home for 2 years, never in a hospital though.

I loved my job, I loved my residents. They were like family. It broke my heart every single time one of them passed away.
    As far as the work load...we were always short staffed. Over worked, underpaid, and very much unappreciated by the rest of the nursing staff, unless one of our nurses had too been a CNA and knew how hard we were busting our butts. The work is back breaking, and a lot of the time (At least for me) I worked at least 2 16 hour shifts a week to help out because we were so short staffed.

The job itself is not terrible. There is a huge amount of gratification you get when a patient with Alzheimer's who isn't supposed to remember anything pulls you aside and tells you that they love you for your hard work. Or when a family member of the deceased says thank you.

Very self fulfilling, if you aren't in it for the money.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 11:18 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I'm an STNA and I love my job However I work at a state facility and the money is GREAT.
    It is very hard and very demanding. You have to be caring person and realize that the residents are people too, just like you. And you need think how would I want this person treated if it was my mom or grandma. I'm not an LPN however, where I work the LPN on my floor wil pass meds and do treatments and sit on her butt the rest of the time and runs out the door every half hour to smoke. It doesn'tmatter if residents call nights are going off or not. It drives me nuts. BUT not all LPNS arel ike that. :)
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 11:22 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I work with CNA's and LPN's. I can honestly say it depends on the company. The nursing facilities I worked in treated their CNA'a like crap. They were over loaded with patients and up to their neck, litterally, in shit. With no respect. Little pay. Hectic schedules they had no control over. Same for the LPN"s. The liability and sress really got to them. High turn over rates. The company I worked for employed CNA's and they were paid very well, enjoyed the job, little stress, and a valued member of the team. Same for the LPN's. All I can say is that it really does make a difference where you work. Also the positive is that you always do have job opportunities open to you from hospitals, doctor offices, nursing homes, ect.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• i was an L.N.A and all you ladies nailed it on the head.
    Anonymous

• I am a registered nurse, what do you think is so bad about it? Sure, people will take every little thing out on you (doctors, other nurses, pt's, families...). But then on other days it is very rewarding. And sometimes people get really messy and you have to clean them up, sometimes it is feces, vomit, mucus, etc. But then other days everybody stays clean and happy. You just have to decide if this is the way you want to work. Good Luck.
    Anonymous

• I personally would not go into either of those . I don't like the nursing home environment. Here they are phasing out LPN's at our hospitals they feel they only need RN's and Nursing Assistants.
    Briklin

Answer by Briklin at 5:59 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• HELLO I AM A CNA AND HAVE BEEN FOR 10 YEARS NOW. THE WORK IS VERY REWARDING HOWEVER IT CAN GET STRESSFUL AT TIMES AND YOU MAY FEEL OVERWHELMED. ONCE YOU BECOME A CNA YOU GET USE TO IT QUICKLY. IN NURSING YOU HAVE TO BE WILLING TO GO WITH THE PUNCHES BECAUSE EVERYDAY THE RULES CHANGE AND THE WAY YOU DID IT FOR LIKE THE LAST MONTH WILL ALL THE SUDDEN BE DIFFERENT. I DON'T KNOW WHAT THE PAY RATE IS FOR MICHIGAN HOWEVER HERE IN PGH,PA THE CNA START AT 10.50/HR. KEEP IN TOUCH
    cvogel

Answer by cvogel at 12:55 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• I don't know what thoughts you have going on in your head, but every facility is different for everyone, and is especially dependent upon the person's personal attitude when entering their field of choice.
    I was a CNA many years ago and loved it. Of course, there were parts of the job I did not like (cleaning urine and feces, lifting patients, scrubbing bedside commodes), but the whole part of the job was so very rewarding that those unpleasant tasks were done to the best of my ability and pride. I treated every person I came in contact with just the same as I would want my own family to be treated - with respect, dignity, caring, and kindness.
    It's all in the attitude you begin with and where your heart is at. When you do something you love, you do it to the best of your ability, including the nasty tasks that go along with it.
    Best wishes to you and whatever decision you make.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 11:23 AM on Feb. 20, 2009