Eye patch for kid... causing a rash.

My middle son has to wear an eye patch 4-6 hours a day. He has been wearing it for a few weeks now, but today I noticed that the sticky stuff is giving him a rash. I have super sensitive skin... and I guess he got it from me. We washed it and put some neosporin on it. I will call the eye doctor on Friday, but in the mean time is there anything else we can do? Tomorrow is his birthday, so I told him he could go one day without it.

When we were cleaning it he was crying because it hurt so bad. Poor kid!

SleepingBeautee

Asked by SleepingBeautee at 12:13 AM on Jul. 4, 2013 in Kids' Health

• Mrsmom, no it's not better to wear a pirate patch because they can shift down and look out through the cracks which still uses the eye which us why they use blackout patches so that eye is not being used.

Trust me on this, I've been dealing with this for over 9 years combined. It will do nothng but hinder the progress.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 11:33 AM on Jul. 4, 2013

• I'd be calling the eye Dr. back. It's better to use the other type of patch (pirate-type of patch) than have him break out like that. My son had to wear those when he was little too. Hope the rash gets better. Cortizone 10 cream might help clear that up.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:40 AM on Jul. 4, 2013

• My oldest had to wear them for a lazy eye, but his doctor said we could do something as simple as folding a napkin and sticking it behind his glasses. The point was merely to cover the eye. So I'd look for another way to accomplish that: a patch with a strap, sticking a napkin/paper towel behind glasses, or even using regular tape to hold it in place, if that doesn't give him a rash.

Also, check the patches box and see if it has latex in it. That kind of looks like the rash my boys and I get when we use latex bandages (we're all allergic). If it does have latex, see his regular doctor as well as his eye doctor, because a latex allergy *can* be a big deal.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 7:28 AM on Jul. 4, 2013

• Ouchy. Give him a hug for me. Happy Birthday to him. Unless it has to be completely sealed maybe they can give him one with a of the sticky stuff. I had to wear one of those when one of my children sailed a paper airplane right into my eye. Quite a feet since I have worn glasses since I was about 4. LOL

I hope he doesn't have to wear it too long.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:39 AM on Jul. 4, 2013

• What brand are you using?
    We used ortopad and had the same thing happen. We switched to krafty patches, they're so much better.
    http://funeyepatchkitsforkids.com/

If you have any questions you can message me. My oldest patched and oldest dd is patching now. :)
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 1:03 AM on Jul. 4, 2013

• Bummer
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 12:44 AM on Jul. 4, 2013

• Yeah... she said he had to have the sticky one. Now that is before the rash appeared. She said the elastic was a strict no, that it wouldn't do what it needs to do.
    SleepingBeautee

Comment by SleepingBeautee (original poster) at 12:22 AM on Jul. 4, 2013

• They make patches that have an elastic band to go around the head instead of the sticky kind. My daughter had to wear one for a while. I think I picked it up at Walgreen's. Happy birthday to the kiddo!
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:18 AM on Jul. 4, 2013

• what about getting a pirate type eye patch that ties on his head? (or elastic) I don't really know what to tell you, I've never had to deal with something like this with either of my kids.

Give him a hug for me, that rash does NOT look fun.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 12:16 AM on Jul. 4, 2013