White House says they can't do anything........(not a) BIG SURPRISE

I had completely forgotten that I'd signed a petition, online, to try and get the White House to declare the Westboro Baptist Church a hate group. I signed the petition in the wake of the Sandyhook school shooting. I checked my email today and found a response to that petition: we won't do anything about them, it's not our jurisdiction......blah blah blah.

LINK to response

Rosehawk

Asked by Rosehawk at 12:49 AM on Jul. 4, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• I guess the buck does *not* stop here.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:03 AM on Jul. 4, 2013

• Well. Bummer.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 1:05 AM on Jul. 4, 2013

• Doesn't surprise me... :(
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 1:20 AM on Jul. 4, 2013

• Really? How does that square with all the executive orders that have been signed by this administration?
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:27 AM on Jul. 4, 2013

• Why was there a petition asking the WH to do that in the first place? It's the Justice Dept that handles criminal investigations, and the actual list of hate groups in the US is compiled by the SPLC, a non-government agency.

People honestly wanted the highest executive office in the country to declare a legally recognized church to be a hate group, with no regard to the precedent it would set?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:22 AM on Jul. 4, 2013

• It's not in the President's purview. But the FBI is watching very carefully and waiting for WBC to actually do something that breaks a law.

Remember the First Amendment:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

WBC has the right to say what they want and to peaceably assemble where they want as long as it doesn't violate any laws.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:52 PM on Jul. 4, 2013

• No, the buck stops at the constitution, and freedom of speech is in place to protect EVERYONE'S speech, even asshats like WBC
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 7:55 PM on Jul. 4, 2013