As a mother, do you think it is right for your daughter to call her stepmother mama only after 1 year of knowing her?

My daughter is 4 years old and she has been calling her stepmom Mama and her father and stepmother have been encouraging it. They've only known each other for 1 year and just got married a month ago.

Misfadedstar

Asked by Misfadedstar at 9:57 AM on Jul. 4, 2013 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Sure, the most important thing is your daughter and obviously she likes her to call her mama.
    What you want isn't important, it's the happiness of your child.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 10:04 AM on Jul. 4, 2013

• I wouldn't have an issue with it.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 10:04 AM on Jul. 4, 2013

• Yes, the child is finding normalcy in her life.

Answer by Bmat at 10:27 AM on Jul. 4, 2013

• what should the kid call the step mother?
    "That bitch that married my dad and now my mom and him will never get back together"?

they've been together a year and are married- move on, he has
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 10:29 AM on Jul. 4, 2013

• A kid can have more than two mother figures. We always called my stepMom by her first name but we can to her at 11 & 9... she was like a mother to us for sure. I introduce her as my mother. I can see where it would get under your skin, but there are far worse things out there, trust me!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 10:50 AM on Jul. 4, 2013

• she is 4 - very normal
    if she was 14 - then it might be odd, or maybe take a longer time for this bond to happen if at all

she still knows you as her mom- right?

assume you split time with the dad
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 10:54 AM on Jul. 4, 2013

• Believe me, I know what you are going thru. I have been divorced for almost 3 yrs and my ex's GF lives with him. Those 2 encourage my children to call her mom. It has really gotten under my skin, but I'm getting used to it. As the great moms on here have shown me, I am their mother and nothing will change that. My kids know this. Don't think of her as a step mom but more as a step in mom (that steps in when you aren't there). I know how much it sucks, but you really do need to move on. Especially for your sake. Be thankful that she treats your child in such a way that your child wants to call her mama. There are many step-moms out there not so nice.
    tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 11:00 AM on Jul. 4, 2013

• There are many step-moms out there not so nice.
    equally as bad- the parent that discourages love between the child and the step parent.

people wonder why so many second marriages involving kids fail. (besides parenting styles) there is generally, IMHO, somebody attempting to prevent a bonding experience
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 11:09 AM on Jul. 4, 2013

• No she should be called by her first name. Only one is her Mother and should always be.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 11:11 AM on Jul. 4, 2013

• I might add... my mom didn't like my stepMom either... until she had step kids of her own. She calls them her bonus kids and she is their bonus mom. Changed her entire view on the subject.
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 11:44 AM on Jul. 4, 2013