Other then Nar-anan are their any support groups for Moms with a son on heroin?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:31 PM on Jul. 4, 2013 in Relationships

• Can't seem to find any. Call 211 for social services referrals in your area; there may be something offered in your county.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:29 PM on Jul. 4, 2013

• You could check out NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness) because I know after a quick search that several chapters of NAMI explicitly support people affected by both mental illness and chemical addiction. I know a couple of people who have had direct experience with NAMI and found the groups very supportive for family members. I imagine that within the members of the support group community there is a lot of experience with chemical dependency/drug abuse because that's frequently a co-morbid condition. You could check out the national directory and see if there's a local chapter to contact. I imagine there's also info on the website directly that might be helpful.
    You could call a hospital or detox center/inpatient facility and ask about support services, groups, and resources. You also might find a referral to a counselor who specializes in addiction, because individual counseling could be really helpful support.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 3:36 PM on Jul. 4, 2013