Why exactly do we want Bashar Assad out of office?

Our government has helped to get rid of the leader of Egypt and Libya. And now we are trying like heck to get the leader of Syria out. Why is that? What did these men do that was so horrible? I thought I was keeping up with world events, but I have never really understood this. And I can't really find an answer. Can anyone clarify this situation so that I can understand it better?

29again

Asked by 29again at 6:58 PM on Jul. 4, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• You mean apart from him being a dictator who flaunts human rights and has opponents imprisoned, tortured and murdered? Then again he treats Israel as an enemy and that does not sit well with the US goverment either...
    goldpandora

Answer by goldpandora at 7:21 PM on Jul. 4, 2013

• PS - for moe information, Google is your friend. There's no shortage of information out there.
    goldpandora

Answer by goldpandora at 7:23 PM on Jul. 4, 2013

• I'm not sure of all the ins and outs, but he is pretty ruthless and violent, and unconcerned with human rights, the way Hussein was.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 7:30 PM on Jul. 4, 2013

• Aren't they all dictators over there? What was Morsi, Obama's pick to lead Egypt, if not a dictator? How, exactly, is he (Assad) flaunting human rights? Is there a real source that gives accurate facts about what is happening?

And I know there is a ton of info on google. However, there is TOO much, and so much is slanted. I don't want someone's biased views that don't give a single fact. I have heard so many "facts" that are not provable, I have read many many articles and blogs and opinions that are biased, or just opinion. I just wondered if someone here could break it down for me.
    29again

Comment by 29again (original poster) at 7:31 PM on Jul. 4, 2013

• the way Hussein was.

So he murdered whole groups (towns) of his countrymen? I did not know that. Any specifics that I can use for a search?
    29again

Comment by 29again (original poster) at 7:33 PM on Jul. 4, 2013

• "Aren't they all dictators over there?"

Well, of course they are. After all, they aren't American, are they? Sheesh? And you think you're keeping up to date with world events ..
    goldpandora

Answer by goldpandora at 7:35 PM on Jul. 4, 2013

• So how does the fact that he is a dictator mean that we must oust him? I don't understand this thinking that since WE don't have a dictatorship, no one else in the world can, either. At least that is how it appears to me. We don't rule the world, do we??

I did google my same question. There were some Yahoo answers that really didn't help me understand. And then tons and tons of blog postings, most of which have warnings from WOT.

Obviously, I've missed a few things with my crazy work schedule and all..... but that is getting better now, thank goodness!
    29again

Comment by 29again (original poster) at 7:45 PM on Jul. 4, 2013

• Wasn't Assad using chemical weapons on his own people? Like poisonous gas? I'm not sure but our government has either armed the Syrian rebels or we are considering it. I think we haven't learned our lesson yet that we can't be the human rights police of the world.
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 11:46 PM on Jul. 4, 2013

• First we all know that there is money in war and terror. Did you know a third building collapsed on 911. Yes building 7 and no plane hit it.
    All is not what it seems. Central and world banks with their immense power run the world including the United States. Go to you tube for real journalism on your subject while you still can. Don't just discount the seemingly crazy theories. Many are very true.
    Like building 7 no US media outlet even covered. Watch the documentary "loose change" on you tube.
    Back to Seria. Now we arming al quida to fight the so called dictator. Funny Russia doesn't think so. You see most Americans blindly believe the liberal press. Our government won't allow the main steam media to go off the path the government decides.
    Lets not forget ABC and others get their license from the FCC.
    So do your own research and draw your own educated conclusion. Do it online. You tube is great
    Tpatrick

Answer by Tpatrick at 12:25 AM on Jul. 5, 2013

• You might start here: http://www.npr.org/search/index.php?searchinput=Assad  Bunch of different stories linked there, including interviews with por-Assad Syrians.

And here's one sample from another source: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/syria-civil-war-bashar-alassads-fighters-accused-of-massacre-in-banias-8603995.html  "Activists say thousands of Sunni Muslims have fled the Mediterranean city of Banias, in Syria, after reports of killings by pro-government militia."

Answer by gdiamante at 1:00 AM on Jul. 5, 2013