What can I do?

So my ex and I broke up back in April. Well we are in a lease together and the manager started pitching a fit about "if hes on the lease he has to live here."
So with that said, my ex came up with the idea to live here during the week(because its closer to his job) and his moms house on the weekends. We have two children(5 and 3) and this is very hard on them. It was hard enough back in April and they were just getting used to him not being around then hes doing this 5 days in a row here 2 days in a row not. I've said to him several times that this is very hard on the children and I don't think he should keep doing it he should be either here or there not both. He doesn't listen to me.
So with all this how would you handle it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:37 PM on Jul. 4, 2013 in Relationships

• As long as the rent is being paid, the manager has no say so in if he lives there or not. Now, if you are trying to get a roommate to help pay for the rent, that is a different story. How much longer is your lease for?

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 8:50 PM on Jul. 4, 2013

• Just because someone is on the lease does NOT mean they have to live there. It simply means that if there are two people on the lease (you and he) that both of you are responsible for the rent, legally.
    I had a rental unit that the person was relocating to another state. I had 3 months left on the lease with him. He chose to leave his thing in he apartment (paying the rent) while he went to look for a new place to live. He did not live in the apartment for 2 solid months. A couple of times he told me that is brother would be there to check on things and spend the night As long as the rent is paid and you are not over the legal capacity for the apartment, the manager has nothing to say about it until the lease is ready to be renewed.
    Check with you city on the ordinances (call 211) for renters information.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 8:52 PM on Jul. 4, 2013

• He does not HAVE to live there. I would tell the manager he is not living there, end of discussion. If the manager wants to break your lease over it, then HE is the one breaking it and you can walk away without being responsible for that.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 9:01 PM on Jul. 4, 2013

• The lease ends in October and I know he don't have to be here...so that's why I'm wondering how to deal with him coming and going, because its hard on the kids
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:04 PM on Jul. 4, 2013

• Agreed with the rest.... He does not have to live there just because he is on the lease. Who told you that the manager was "having a fit"? I would tell him to live at his mom's.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 9:11 PM on Jul. 4, 2013

• Have you filed for separation or divorce?
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 9:12 PM on Jul. 4, 2013

• As long as you can pay the rent on your own, tell him you don't want him there and change the locks.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:08 PM on Jul. 4, 2013

• If he is on the lease also, he has every right to stay there. This is why I asked in any paperwork had been filed. You can not change the locks without the landlord's permission, unless you want to give him grounds to evict you.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:55 AM on Jul. 5, 2013

• You can move and have him stay there but you are equally responsible for the rent, regardless of whether or not you actually live there.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:56 AM on Jul. 5, 2013

• tell the manager that he needs to be removed from the lease, and tell the ex that the arrangement isn't working for the sake of the kids. good luck!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 9:39 AM on Jul. 5, 2013