Endometrial biopsy? Please tell me I am worried for nothing.

I just went in for my annual pap yesterday. I am 41 and have been having issues with changing periods, more painful, heavier, etc. My doctor wants me to come back for a endometrial biopsy and ultrasound. Obviously when you hear the word biopsy cancer springs to mind first but what other reasons could there be for having this done? I am nervous about it being painful. I am making myself sick over the remote possibility of cancer. I have two weeks before I get this done, I may be a nervous wreck by then. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:10 PM on Jul. 4, 2013 in Health

• I started having difficult periods after I had my kids. It got to the point where something had to be done, and the ultrasounds and blood tests weren't showing any specific cause. I had a hysteroscopy, biopsy, D&C, and hydrothermal ablation done. I was knocked out for the whole thing, about half an hour total. Everything came back clear, and my doctor even gave me a picture of the inside of my uterus, LOL.
    If you're done having kids, you might want to ask your doctor about getting an ablation done. It destroys the inside of your uterus. For me, it was life changing. It's also nice to get all of that done while you're under, because there is no pain. I do know someone who had it done in the office. She said it was not at all comfortable, but it wasn't totally unbearable, either.
    Good luck!
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 10:19 PM on Jul. 4, 2013

• My wack-o (LOVE HER!!!!) doc actually did the biopsy in the office when I went in for spotting, after ALWAYS irregular periods. It showed "dysplasia" which means abnormal cells and I opted for a total hyst at age 47. After the pathology report came back it showed only dysplasia...no cancer. No further treatment. I had to wait some time between the biopsy result and the operation and that was very nerve wracking, so I do understand. Good luck! P.M. me if you want.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 10:23 PM on Jul. 4, 2013

• You must be rattled. I'm sorry you have to go through this. Easier said than done, I know, but worryin about cancer isn't going to help you if you have it, and it sure won't help if you don't. There are lots of very treatable reasons for heavy periods and abnormal exams--endometriosis, fibroids, hormonal changes. Even if it is cancer, if you've been getting annual exams, it will be caught early and it is survivable. Best of luck.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:27 PM on Jul. 4, 2013

• I had endometriosis and had to have a hysterectomy at the young age of 34. The biopsy is like having a colonoscopy. The worst part is the mind games you play , working yourself up. The fear is so real.
    Everything will be fine, you'll see :)
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 10:27 PM on Jul. 4, 2013

• Thanks so much ladies. I really appreciate the words of comfort. It is so easy to work yourself up when facing stuff like this. I am usually the calm one but for some reason I am just really anxious about this. I have heard quite a bit of good things about an ablation I hope that is an option for me because I would very much consider it. Thanks again everyone :)
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:06 AM on Jul. 5, 2013

• I did get the bad news after an endometrial biopsy . I had stage 2 endometrial cancer. I had a hysterectomy about a month after the diagnosis, and that was all. No chemo, no radiation. That was 13 years ago. I am cancer free. The doc told me the cancer I had was a very slow growing cancer, and has a very high cure rate. So, keep positive. Even if it is endometrial cancer, (which it more than likely is not) if it's in the early stage, you should have very good odds to beat it.
    musicmaker

Answer by musicmaker at 2:38 AM on Jul. 5, 2013

• Thank you musicmaker. Did you happen to have any symptoms before your diagnosis? I have read that most of the time there are not any real symptoms. I am feeling a little less anxious today but I was just wondering. Thanks again for sharing your experience. You have all made me feel a lot better.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:55 AM on Jul. 5, 2013

• I have always had irregular periods. And when I would get it , it would be very heavy and long. The last few I had before I was diagnosed with cancer were scary heavy.  But I ignored symtoms and didn't go to the doctor. Well, finally I couldn't ignore it. I bled so bad I had to go to the emergency room. So I was forced to see a gyn. He took the biopsy, and you know the rest.

musicmaker

Answer by musicmaker at 1:19 PM on Jul. 5, 2013

• Thank you. I am so sorry you had to go through that but so happy to hear you are doing well now. My periods are not as heavy as you describe so I think that is a good sign for me, still it can't help but cross your mind when you hear the word "biopsy". I have never been super regular with my periods either but the pain and cramps is something that was never an issue for me before I had my last child and my tubal. Since then it just has gotten progressively worse. I will just be glad when the tests are over and I can breathe a little easier :)
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:46 PM on Jul. 5, 2013