Another E-coli Question adult content

The water in my town has been contaminated with E-coli, and we're still under a boil water advisory. No tap water for cooking, drinking, brushing teeth. We can take showers as long as we are careful about not ingesting any water, but not baths because there are other places besides the mouth where water can get into the body. I have questions, but there's been nobody to call, since it's the Fourth of July and government offices are closed, so I was hoping someone would know about this or know where I could find information.

I had an episode of violent diarrhea a while ago and some abdominal cramps, but now that's all subsided. If I have E-coli, will it go away if it isn't too bad or will I need to see a doctor? Maybe it's just a tummy bug. Nobody else in the house has had any problems.

If I use my dishwasher on the hot setting, is the hot water and soap enough to kill anthing on the dishes?

If I forgot about not using the faucet and washed my hands with antibacterial soap before making my daughter a waffle, will the waffle be okay?

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 10:40 PM on Jul. 4, 2013 in Health

• Sounds like ecoli. Unfortunately for YOU there is no way of telling if there was blood in the stool unless you had someone else check it which I doubt you did. I would call your doctor and request a stool sample be tested. You CAN spread it too. Especially if you don't wash your hands after going to the bathroom. Which is likely if you cant use the water. With your symptoms the CDC recommends you get tested asap.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 3:18 AM on Jul. 5, 2013

• These are only my opinions but it's also common sense too. If you were sick a while ago & feel better now, even if it was e coli then I am sure you are just fine. If you get sick again soon then go see your Dr.
    As far as the dishwasher goes, if it gets really hot then I would assume it kills the bacteria. Just wait until everything in the dishwasher is dry before you use it. I don't think the bacteria can live on a dry surface. If I were you, I would boil a bunch of pots of hot water to use for hand washing. Can you get a string or wrap your kitchen faucet with some plastic food wrap to rmind you not to use it? Hope I helped.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:50 PM on Jul. 4, 2013

• If you are taking antibiotics for anything call a doctor asap for advice. Antibiotics will release ecoli toxins into the bloodstream that could kill you.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 3:19 AM on Jul. 5, 2013

• Symptoms usually show 3 or so days after contamination. Which is around the time you were drinking tap water all day right?
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 3:22 AM on Jul. 5, 2013

• http://www.cdc.gov/ecoli/

Here's the CDC website on e-coli.  Hope that helps.  Keep us posted on how you're doing. 

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:35 AM on Jul. 5, 2013

• The best thing you can do for nearly any problem involving diarrhea is drink lots of water (obviously not from your tap...).
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 12:16 PM on Jul. 5, 2013

• remind, sorry spelling.
    ILovemyPaulie