Need some ideas about food for my sons first birthday party

Wanted to know if anybody had any ideas on desserts and actual foods that will be easy and not expensive to make for my sons birthday party. I am ordering his cake so I won't need any suggestions on that. Thanks in advance

mimioester

Asked by mimioester at 11:40 PM on Jul. 4, 2013 in Food & Drink

• Will it just be a small party for family, or are you inviting others? Are you wanting toddler food ideas, or grown-up choices? What time of day? How many people? What's your budget, and will you have help?
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:50 PM on Jul. 4, 2013

• That depends on whether or not you're inviting adults or just the kids
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 11:59 PM on Jul. 4, 2013

• I am inviting adults and children so no it will not just be family. I am wanting toddler and adult food ideas. It will probably be late afternoon to early evening. I do not know about my budget and I might have a little bit of help.
    mimioester

Comment by mimioester (original poster) at 12:51 AM on Jul. 5, 2013

• How large a crowd? What time of day? You can schedule it so you don't have to do more than drinks and cake, with appetizers like cut-up veggies, chips and crackers.

You could do a barbecue with hot dogs and burgers, too. Those can be pretty inexpensive.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:52 AM on Jul. 5, 2013

• Cake is dessert. Do not serve any other treats. Make a sandwich platter, pasta salad and a veggie tray.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 2:51 AM on Jul. 5, 2013

• Hot-dogs & burgers on the grill, watermelon, veggies & dip & cake -n- ice cream for dessert :)

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:29 AM on Jul. 5, 2013

• I second the burgers and hot dogs idea. That's good for both kids and adults.
    Other ideas are sandwiches for the kids with different salads: potato, carrot, coleslaw or pasta. You can make a "grown up version" with Paninis and spiced oven fries.
    Lasagna or stuffed pasta shells
    Pizzas are good for both too. You can make the kids version with mini pitas and decorate them and for the grown ups, buy the dough at your local pizza shop and do fancy toppings
    You can do a taco bar, with a few filling options (ground beef, shredded chicken, chicken is salsa verde...) let everyone build their own taco and add a couple of side dishes, like Mexican rice, potatoes with poblanos and corn salsa
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 8:12 AM on Jul. 5, 2013

• I'd order Pizza for the kids & have a 6 foot hero & salads for the adults. One cake is enough for dessert. Have chips, Pretzels & dip beforehand.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:30 PM on Jul. 5, 2013