Stomach-centric sports!

I had a friend who used to be a local jalapeno-eating champ. But the thought of downing this many hot dogs makes me ill. Do we have any stomach-centric heroines among us?

Joey Chestnut does it again! Champ wins Nathan's hot dog eating contest for record seventh straight year - NY Daily News

Master of Ceremonies George Shea screams as Joey "Jaws" Chestnut sets a new record and wins the Nathan's Famous Fourth of July Hot Dog Eating Contest in Coney Island with a new world record of 69 hot dogs and buns in 10 minutes. The win gave Chestnut seven titles in a row, another record.

Joey “Jaws” Chestnut again gorged his way into history Thursday, winning his seventh consecutive Nathan’s Hot Dog Eating championship in Coney Island by scarfing 69 hot dogs and buns in 10 minutes — a new world record.

The previous record was 68, which was set last year by Chestnut.

“I almost started crying for a second. I'm happy as heck!” said Chestnut, 29, basking in his postprandial achievement.

"Things came together today. The hot dogs were really good. It wasn't too hot."

Just as the crowd of 40,000 at Surf And Stillwell Aves. expected, Chestnut devoured the competition.

And in the women's contest, Sonya Thomas (right with Shea raising her hand) won with an underwhelming (for her) 36 HDBs.

Matt "Megatoad" Stonie challenged the champ early, but came in second place with a mere 51 HDBs. Stonie learned the same lesson as countless other Chestnut challengers: Competitive eating is a marathon, not a sprint.

Chestnut generally keeps his secrets hidden, but earlier in the week, the California native told the Daily News he would wolf down wieners in a “smarter” fashion — minimizing his movements and pacing himself as he dunked the bread in water forced the dogs down his gullet.

And as the clock hit 10 minutes, the crowd went crazy.

"It is an art, it is a poem, it is a prayer that he's executing right now!" shouted George Shea, the chairman of Major League Eating, the governing body of all stomach-centric sports.

Saliva, sweat, water, and hot dog detritus mixed at Chestnut’s feet as he hoisted the Mustard Yellow International Belt to the heavens yet again.

The victory gave Chestnut one more consecutive wins than Takeru “The Tsunami” Kobayashi, whose reign Chestnut ended with a still-legendary 66 HDB performance in 2007, when the contest was still 12 minutes.

Lindsay Herzog, 23, who flew from Chicago specifically for the contest, was mesmerized by the slovenly champ. She’d been in the audience for all seven of his victories.

“The first time I came here was Joey Chestnut’s first competition,” said Herzog. “I was hooked.”

Chestnut’s victory was treated like a foregone conclusion — he was carried to the stage in a mustard-colored, Roman-style sedan chair.

In the end, Chestnut held his trophy high over the crowd of 30,000.

Fans speculated how the contestants must feel after ingesting so much pork product.

“They're probably thinking, ‘I never want to see another hot dog again!’” said Renee Mas, 32, from Wantagh, L.I.

But Chestnut told the News this week that he does not intend to retire, saying, “Seven is not the end. Ten is looking more and more likely.”

Sonya “The Black Widow” Thomas won the women’s contest — but narrowly — eating 36 and three-quarters hot dogs and buns to Juliet Lee’s 36 HDBs. The 100-pound Thomas, of Alexandria, Va., has won the women’s contest for all three years.

Her count was much lower than last year, when Thomas broke her own record by eating 45 hot dogs and buns.

Each Nathan’s Famous hot dog and bun has 290 calories, 17 grams of fat and 710 milligrams of sodium. A normal American — not a gustatory gladiator — is supposed to consume 2,000 calories a day, and no more than 200 grams of fat or 2,300 milligrams of salt.

Doing the math, Chestnut ate 20,010 calories, 1,173 grams of fat and 48,990 miligrams of sodium.

Photos at http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/brooklyn/joey-chestnut-wins-hot-dog-contest-article-1.1390200.

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 12:22 AM on Jul. 5, 2013 in Just for Fun

• That's just...disgusting. Ew! I've never understood why people want to do that.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 7:55 AM on Jul. 5, 2013

• Not a sport!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 9:30 AM on Jul. 5, 2013

• Ewwwwwww
    emma-s

Answer by emma-s at 9:31 AM on Jul. 5, 2013

• That is too much.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 10:05 AM on Jul. 5, 2013

• no, I would be sick!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 3:14 PM on Jul. 5, 2013